Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes review

This thread is in response to a review for Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 01, 2018 (10:31 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review. Coincidentally, I just played and beat this game on a borrowed emulator system, Sumosys. You're so right -- the regular enemies are easy, but the bosses are not. I found it to still be a fun romp, and that's coming from someone with very little in the way of emotional attachment to it. I may have played it once or twice in the arcades when it was a thing.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 01, 2018 (11:45 AM)

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I wrote it in a hurry, admittedly, but there wasn't a whole lot to say about the game. Like you said, it's a fun enough little romp. I figure anyone who grew up having the sort of experience that would prompt them to drop a quarter or two back in the day will probably find something to like, but there are all sorts of modern players for whom such an idea is outlandish. I'm not sure they'll care WHAT happens to President Ronnie!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2018 (12:41 PM)

How much did the game cost? And what other games are in this Johnny Turbo series?

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2018 (01:01 PM)

All of the games in the series are $7.99 apiece (typical for arcade classics on Switch, including the huge variety of Psikyo games and the SEGA Ages series, as well as over 100 games now from Hamster), with the exception of "Heavy Burger," which is a new mashup featuring shooting action "in" the arcade worlds of old Data East games. The list of actual retro titles from the series thus far is:

Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Express Raider
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate Of Doom
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Joe and Mac - Caveman Ninja
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Nitro Ball
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Shoot Out
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Super Burger Time
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Two Crude
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire

As possible, I'm snagging virtually every arcade title to hit the platform. I just haven't been reviewing a lot of what I've bought.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2018 (01:50 PM)

Wait, did you see that there are over 100 games available from Hamster? The hell...! I better look into this.

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2018 (01:54 PM)

They are approaching 100 ACA NeoGeo titles, and they have published around 25 Arcade Archives titles (including some from Nintendo). Nintendo stuff aside, most of that stuff is also available on PlayStation 4. But to me, Switch feels like a better place to play it. If you want to see what all is available, the "A" listings for Nintendo Switch here on this site are a great starting point, since all of Hamster's stuff for the system starts with that letter. Most weeks, Hamster releases two new games: one NeoGeo title and one general arcade offering.

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2018 (07:45 PM)

Oh, it also looks like the following two games are coming in the next week or so:

Johnny Turbo's Arcade: night Slashers
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Break Thru

So the nostalgia train is still going...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.