Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow review

This thread is in response to a review for Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the Game Boy Advance. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 18, 2018 (07:46 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I really agree with this review. I liked the game a lot, but after playing through SotN a dozen or so times and beating CotM and HoD, when I started this one, I struggled to maintain interest and stopped playing somewhere around Death. Konami really had a good formula initially, but when you consider that the three GBA games were just pale imitations of SotN on a less powerful handheld system, it just got to the point where I got tired of doing the same thing in a different game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 18, 2018 (11:35 AM)

This is a great review that makes me look back fondly on the game. I had that double pack that included Harmony with Aria -- what a deal. Anyway, the write-up successfully upholds its thesis throughout of 'great, but not amazing.'

My only gripe, is that I'd consider omitting this line:

"Honestly, I'm struggling to find gaping flaws here..."

It kind of derailed what was a very smooth ride until that point. Just a thought.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 19, 2018 (01:42 PM)

Thank you, both. I will look at revising that line. I was a little hasty at that point, so maybe with some added love I can smooth it over.

I think the only two post-Symphony games that were outstanding were Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia. The GBA games all felt like they were missing something. Portrait of Ruin suffered from a combination of environmental rehash and super moves that were easy to spam. Mirror of Fate was probably the worst of the "Metroidvanias," mostly because it was a fairly rote affair and its "God of War meets Symphony" concept didn't work.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 19, 2018 (04:23 PM)

And yet Mirror of Fate was likely the one game that got the developer its gig remaking Metroid II, which seems to have been well received by critics (unlike Mirror of Fate, which was indeed uninspiring in general).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 19, 2018 (05:00 PM)

I remember Circle of the Moon being kind of hard for this time of game, but boring, at the same time -- a difficult combination to pull off.

My favourite of the GBA titles was Harmony of Dissonance. At least it felt... different. It had a certain aesthetic. Aria of Sorrow did nothing for me for some reason. I'd have to go back and revisit.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 20, 2018 (09:52 PM)

I kinda liked Circle, but I thought it was too farmy. If you needed new armor, healing items or the special cards the game offered, then you had to kill enemies for ages until they dropped something. I think I've gone through the thing three times now, and I gave up on trying to get all of the armor and cards the first couple of times through.

Aria and Dawn had the same basic idea with souls, but most of the souls were easier to nab, plus it was easier to forgo obtaining most of the souls. A lot of them were unnecessary.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.