Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

foe_en_s4_b22.jpg

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Silent Hill: Homecoming review

This thread is in response to a review for Silent Hill: Homecoming on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer (Mod)
Posted: October 24, 2008 (06:36 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This was a great review that I enjoyed reading. One thing that your reviews do well is establish the sense that you can speak with authority. That's important, and used to particularly strong effect in this review. Your summary of the other games in the series was short and to the point, but meaningful. Your reference to the nurses looking like those in the movie also made it clear that you've been with the series for a long time and might be considered a fan, which was important when near the end you included the brilliant lines about the player wondering why he's playing and trying to tell himself that he's a fan of an experience that isn't particularly good. Great stuff!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: October 24, 2008 (11:23 PM)

Yes, all what HG said. I also like the outro - it's funny, a lot of people (fans) were afraid this game Would be the remake of RE4-sized proportions :) The majority have been saying 'the combat's been amped but otherwise it's still mostly on mission.' And you're saying the whole thing has become really neither here nor there now, in pretty much every department. I'm going through Silent Hill 4 for the first time right now, btw. Might be a long time before I get to Homecoming.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 25, 2008 (12:53 AM)

Incidentally, Wade, you're the friend who 'got me thinking' in the review. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: October 25, 2008 (05:37 AM)

It's really hard to write for a game you feel is average and I feel you pulled it off really well as always. I especially liked the opening paragraph as it drew me into the review and I happened to agree with it so I wanted to keep reading to see how this one compared to the others. (I haven't played 4 or 0rigins, yet, however.)

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 25, 2008 (06:02 AM)

Needs more SH4 hate.

So does everything ever made everywhere.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: October 25, 2008 (10:08 AM)

I didn't actually HATE Silent Hill 4 -- but it really turned me off at times. It's funny how one terribly designed area can just about ruin things all by itself. The opening subway area wasn't bad, the forest area wasn't horrible... but the prison tower thing -- man I hated that.

board icon
Author: disco1960
Posted: October 25, 2008 (02:44 PM)

The review makes a lot of sense.

Dang!

At least SH4 had lighting, and the doors came unlocked. (That apartment would have looked really stupid otherwise.)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: October 25, 2008 (07:56 PM)

That sounds like mockery. =(

board icon
Author: disco1960
Posted: October 25, 2008 (09:06 PM)

I was being serious! I sort of like SH4.

I even have a review for it someplace, with actual reasons and stuff.

I should find it and put it up here, after I fix it because it's probably crappy, despite my thinking it was good at the time.

...wait, what?

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 25, 2008 (10:34 PM)

I thought the review was solid. It has a lot of focus, and that's something I really like in a review. You very quickly pinpointed the things that were wrong with the game and showed how they influenced the experience overall.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: October 26, 2008 (04:55 PM)

PP, disco, zipp: Thanks, glad you liked it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 20, 2009 (06:53 AM)

Came back to this review after just purchasing the game on the cheap. I've probably said before in other aspects of my commincations with my third favourite Canadian, but this is an effortlessly fantastic review.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: December 21, 2009 (09:55 AM)

Thanks Gar. Am I up to third place now? Sweet! :P

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Advertise | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Silent Hill: Homecoming is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Silent Hill: Homecoming, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.