Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Mega Man 11 review

This thread is in response to a review for Mega Man 11 on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 06, 2018 (04:57 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Ha, I went to sleep thinking everyone is too busy doing other games and horror titles to have time for a possible Mega Man 11 review, and I wake up staring at your submission on the front page!

Very interesting read, especially compared to my experience with the game! I actually really liked the longer levels and tougher difficulty setting. I also wasn't too impressed with the Double Gear system, as I personally didn't find much use for it. That's why I always like reading others' views on a game I just finished reviewing, as it's nice to see a different perspective on the same product. Nice read.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: October 06, 2018 (02:36 PM)

This review reflects my thoughts on the demo exactly. The stage was too long, and the difficulty level is ludicrously high even when compared to the original NES games. I'm also not a fan of the Double Gear system. I've noticed that people can't decide whether it's meant to be a crux for newbies or an essential mechanic. A straightforward Mega Man experience would be better.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: April 12, 2022 (11:30 AM)

I'm a big fan of Mega Man (I even like MM8 and MMX6!) but MM11 is not fun to me. I had a lot of difficulty figuring out what was and was not going to hit me with all the particle effects and the levels were long in an obnoxious way. I also don't think the double gear mechanic was well implemented. If there were parts where you were supposed to use it, it wasn't well telegraphed, and it ended up feeling more like a rechargable special weapon.

I was really looking forward to MM11 when I got a Switch last year and was super disappointed with it. I don't think it's fun or well designed.

For my money, some of the stuff Init Creates has done on their own (naming Gunvolt) and Shovel Knight are way better than what Mega Man has done in the past decade.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 12, 2022 (01:26 PM)

I remain hopeful they will soon reveal and release a Mega Man 12, and that they will have learned the right lessons to make it an improvement over 11. Which, as you can tell from my review, I liked a fair bit. Just not as much as I had hoped to, for the reasons mentioned. As you suggest, Inti Creates has done a good job releasing stuff in a similar vein that gets more things right.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 12, 2022 (03:28 PM)

Got confused why I couldn't remember writing that post, then I realized this topic was from 2018. Whoops.

Anyway, still love this game. I think it was my favorite classic numbered MM since MM4.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.