Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [NEWS] Massive layoffs at Telltale Games put the future of The Walking Dead: The Final Season in dou

This thread is in response to an article about The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - The Final Season on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 22, 2018 (06:39 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It's a hard pill to swallow on a lot of levels, but you could kind of see it coming. After the Sam & Max thing put them on the map, and they found their blueprint with TWD, they went a bit power mad and tried to do so much at once with rather middling results. They talked about scaling back this year, and it all looked god for a while, with TWD being concluded and a new Wolf Among Us in the works (the first of which was excellent, by the way). I was optimistic about them getting back on top of it. Sad to see it not work out.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 22, 2018 (10:28 AM)

It always sucks when this happens, but to go along with what EmP said, it was hard to not get the impression they were going for quantity over quality. I don't know if they felt under the gun to push out a lot of content to remain profitable or if it was just a case of letting their reach exceed their grasp, but when I heard the news, I had more of an "oh, that stinks" vibe than a "WHAT?!?! HOW!?!?" one.

I've never played their stuff because that isn't my sort of game, but because of how EVERY SINGLE DAMN ONE of these that EmP reviewed for a year or so came up during my RotWs, I got a very distinct impression that they'd been great initially, but seemed to be going through the motions as time went on to where their game engine was showing its age and how you didn't have the same freedom of choices as time went on, with all your choices basically funneling to the same outcome with it just being a different road to get there. The sort of thing that made me think that the same creative spark wasn't there with later stuff they did. I seem to remember comparing him going through yet another series by them to me continuing to play Kemco games at one point where you know it's not going to be great, but you feel this self-imposed obligation to see it through.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 23, 2018 (07:46 AM)

Yeah. I was disappointed to see this, too. I haven't played much of their stuff outside of a few Sam & Max titles and the Game of Thrones tie-in, but I still enjoyed it. I've been meaning to check out The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, as those seemed the most promising out of their library.

I can see where the comment about their later games' choices just funneling into one outcome comes from. While I thoroughly enjoyed their spin on the series and had hoped for a sequel, as it left off where there could be one, I definitely got the impression that a lot of what I did didn't really matter in the long run. Sure, things might get there differently, but ultimately, your protagonist was going to get screwed no matter what you did.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.