Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [NEWS] THQ Nordic acquires Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning IP

This thread is in response to an article about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dirtsheep
Posted: September 08, 2018 (01:13 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Well, this is welcome news. I remember playing Amalur, and liking it quite a bit, and being hopeful for the franchise, and then having it drop off the face of the earth.

Maybe Honest Gamers should become a home to a series of articles called something like, to quote your article, "Electronic Arts Lost Interest...." How many studios would such an article include? How many games? In my mind, at least, such a list would be more easily described as something like, "Everything except that piece of crap Madden...."

But ah...my biases are showing.

Thanks for the good words. I always thought this series could have gone somewhere with some DLC, with some good support, etc. There was a lot on offer in this big game world.

Come on you boy child
You winner and loser
Come on you miner for truth and delusion
And shine!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 08, 2018 (06:30 PM)

Thanks for reading. As for EA, I think it's easy to forget--or demonize the company for the reality--that shareholders are the executives' first priority. If games aren't making money, as Kingdoms of Amalur wasn't, that's bad news. As gamers, the best we can do is hope that if some other studio is cranking out great stuff and we want to see more of it, EA doesn't buy that studio. It generally spells the end.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dirtsheep
Posted: September 08, 2018 (08:14 PM)

You're correct of course to point out that the company cares about the shareholders more than it cares about their customers (though actually that's an odd thought, isn't it? Good shareholders would of course want their company to respect their customers, which is, after all, where the profits come from). But you sound sort of resigned about it. "As gamers, the best we can do..."

But surely that's not true. How about something like, "As gamers, it's our money that EA is playing Monopoly with. If we don't show up, they won't be able to play Monopoly for much longer."

If Honest Gamers, and others, start documenting how badly EA has corroded this thing that we love so much, we can affect this culture that cares more about capitalism than it cares about the thing that it claims to be working for: gaming and gamers.

Don't buy the next EA game. If enough people do that, we will come out on top. One thing we'll learn is a bit of delayed gratification. As your article points out. Wait a few years, and the sharks will come to feast on the corpse of EA, buying up the properties, and hopefully treating them with more care than EA did.

I'm picking on EA here, because it is such a primary bad actor in our field. But no doubt there are other companies who don't give a rip about this thing that we care about, all the while claiming to. Anybody ever hear about a company called Microsoft? Lionhead Studios: RIP.

But we don't have to be victims. It's our money they're after, and we can teach companies to be a lot less cynical about their profit motive, and treat us as customers with a lot more respect.

Come on you boy child
You winner and loser
Come on you miner for truth and delusion
And shine!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 08, 2018 (08:31 PM)

But the problem is this: what EA is doing is working for gamers more than it isn't. We wouldn't be buying their games if we didn't feel we were getting our money's worth, not in the long term. As for me, I only rarely ever buy an EA title. If you take a look at my game collection page on my blog, you'll find I own a lot of games but very few from that publisher. And I don't buy much from Activision, either. And Microsoft barely publishes anything these days. And Ubisoft? I actually like most of what Ubisoft does. Genuinely like it. So I'm prepared to vote with my wallet--and do--but I'm also not going to pass up those games I really want, provided I can afford them. I think most gamers are the same way. As far as Kingdoms of Amalur goes in particular, I don't blame EA for not continuing to support a franchise when--essentially--gamers spoke with their wallets and said it wasn't something they were prepared to meaningfully support at that time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JedwardRandy
Posted: September 09, 2018 (09:02 AM)

ea did nothing wrong with amalur
the game didn't sell so they didn't buy the ip from rhode island
ea is completely innocent in this, like a baby seal
we should boycott Nintendo for not making startropics 3

the bad practice is when big publishers buy studios and shut them down after a failed game
that works for publisher wallets in short term but it cannibalizes the industry, not healthy for long term future
that did not happen here

I am Jedward Randy

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: September 10, 2018 (08:32 PM)

What Jedward said. Especially the part about StarTropics 3. WTF Nintendo?

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.