Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Super Castlevania IV review

This thread is in response to a review for Super Castlevania IV on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 24, 2018 (06:22 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

What a treat! A Rob review of a game that's not yet another Kemco rote RPG. Nicely done. It's not easy to go back and review oldies and recognize that they're not what you thought they were. And yet... I don't fully agree with you here. First of all, I'm surprised you didn't cover how fucking awesome the tunes are. Secondly... well, there is no secondly. I do agree with you -- SCIV is a slow burn and starts off stuck on tutorial mode before ramping up to harrowing by the end. It's long, it's soaring, but it can feel vapid and boring early on, and CIII is better. But then, CIII is better than everything.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2018 (06:47 AM)

Yeah, I'll probably go back and at least toss in a line about how the music is great. That was something I just kind of forgot because I was rushing things a bit (a while ago, I went through and found a few grammatical and punctuation errors, so it wasn't my most polished) just to make sure I got it up this week. I'd been swamped at work and falling way behind in my review writing (still have two more to do of games I've completed over the past few weeks), had an opportunity yesterday and figured if I got it up then, I'd have one eligible for RotW and then could edit it tomorrow if I noticed I forgot to mention something. Thank ye for the comments, it was fun to revisit this one even if it went from "don't even need strategy" to "HOLY CRAP WHAT DO I DO!?!?!" in a heartbeat!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2018 (08:36 AM)

ADDENDUM: The rushing the review out also explains why my tagline is so pitifully generic. Looked at that again and thought "I definitely have to change that..."

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2018 (05:07 PM)

For what it's worth, I didn't find the review rushed, and I liked the tagline just fine.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: September 03, 2018 (04:58 AM)

I think this game gave infinite continues, and I was very grateful because the number I needed approached infinity, also. What a difficulty spike at the end (and the word 'spike' is a sore point, too).

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.