Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon review

This thread is in response to a review for Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 15, 2018 (07:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Excellent review, Marc. Some of the references fly over my head, but it shows you know an ungodly amount about the series Bloodstained is based upon, and add authority to your review. The source material favours you; best thing you've written in some time!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: July 15, 2018 (07:56 PM)

Thanks, dude! It's been awhile since I reviewed something I gave a shit about. That always helps. But now, back to your regular scheduled indie-effort-template-based-review.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Follow_Freeman
Posted: July 16, 2018 (09:31 AM)

This was a great review, much more informative and well-flowing than any other I've read. I'm looking forward to trying this out. Important question, though; do you have any air control in your jumps, or do you just have a fixed arc like the old games? I hated that nonsense in the original titles and have to get a mod for air control when playing Castlevania 3. I have a bunch of mods for that, might make a blog about it.

Anyway, very well written. I might have adjusted the paragraph structure, but I must disagree with EmP's criticism, for there's no reference that is also subtly explained in natural fashions such as here:

"Alfred is our Sypha Belnades, and Gebel is our Alucard. If you know those names, you know that the former is physically weak but casts powerful magic, and the latter’s greatest asset is his ability to turn into a bat (no subweapons here) and soar. "

A song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RqzFkV2K4g
Film reviews: https://letterboxd.com/Follow_Freeman/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVo7uK3vlYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aToOckImfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpJTLpPLD0

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 16, 2018 (12:29 PM)

I never said the references weren't solid, only that they flew over my head. I've not played as much Castlevania as a lot of people.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: July 16, 2018 (01:51 PM)

I never said I knew him -- I said he touched me on the shoulder once...

Thanks for reading and commenting, Freeman. I don't remember the jumping now; I actually wrote this review some time ago and I no longer have access to the game... sorry!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 17, 2018 (12:22 AM)

Great review, Marc! I especially loved the third paragraph from the end, where you talked about the utility of the four-character team and how that can work to your advantage. But there were a lot of great bits throughout.

Freeman, to answer your question: you can't change your jump direction mid-air. Or couldn't when I played it for a bit on Switch. I saw people complaining about that on Twitter, too. Honestly, it didn't bother me in the first two stages or so, but maybe it would get to me in some of the later areas.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: July 20, 2018 (09:36 AM)

Thanks for the comments Jason, and thanks for answering Freeman. :)

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.