Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Breath of Fire II review

This thread is in response to a review for Breath of Fire II on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 11, 2018 (05:18 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

That translation really is a mess. I've played a fan-localized version once that was far superior simply by virtue of cleaning up that mess. Never owned a SNES though and I'm through emulating games I don't have.

I believe the game is available on 3DS VC, but that's going to be this localization, leaving me very ambivalent.

Oh, this goes to the Submissions Feedback forum doesn't it. Better give you some: thanks for the piece. Think you got the localization issue down pretty well with some potent examples.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 12, 2018 (01:48 PM)

Thanks! I'd heard the localization was bad, but I wasn't prepared for this. I'd say give the fan sub a try, because it couldn't be any worse than the original sub.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 13, 2018 (08:25 AM)

When I originally played it, it was on the SNES, so yeah, the translation was dodgy as hell. I fairly recently played it with the fan localization and that was a lot better.

Although, as I wildly guessed in my review, that crappy translation may have worked in its favor. Nintendo wasn't fond of death and religion in their games and this game had an evil religion and a lot of death. But, hey, if half of it is really hard to decipher, does it matter?!?

But still, better than Robotech's translation.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 15, 2018 (01:46 AM)

^You're probably right about that. Were it not for the crummy translation, it's possible the game would've either been bowdlerized or not released here. Then Breath of Fire III either would've been renamed "Breath of FIre II" or "Breath of Fire: Some Unnecessary Subtitle."

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.