Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Follow_Freeman's DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken review

This thread is in response to a review for DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no DokiDoki Daibouken on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 01, 2018 (07:05 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

As someone who owned the NES Milon, I never even considered this to be worth looking at. Perhaps I was wrong, as it sounds pretty good. One question: You refer to it as one of the best platformers of its era and only have a couple small complaints, but it has a 3-star rating. Is that what you were looking for, since from reading, I was thinking you'd be going for at least a 4 from your tone?

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Follow_Freeman
Posted: May 01, 2018 (07:47 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Thank you! There exists an English translation patch if you wish to go the emulation route.

As for the rating, I find rating systems arbitrary and unimportant compared to my critique, so I don't pour over the scores too much. However, in this case I decided 3/5 was the way to go since this game works on doing largely the same thing as other games with its own expression, like a different artist painting the same rose, to morph a quote from famed filmmaker Yasujiro Ozu. You're not going to see much here that you haven't seen before, but at least you won't suffer the bad difficulty curves and lack of polish that even the 16-bit era was characterized by once you got past the dozen or so all-time platforming classics. This game's dynamic struggle to be unique is what most interested me, as the last few paragraphs detail.

The other reason is that I want to make 5/5 games be all the more demanding of respect, ones anyone can appreciate. Games like Environmental Station Alpha and Tyrian (coming soon) are rather unknown Hall of Fame material that should be played by everyone. Guess it's time for a 1/5 review soon, too...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.