Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol review

This thread is in response to a review for Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: LeVar_Ravel
Posted: March 24, 2018 (04:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Ah, Moon Patrol! One of my favorites from the ol' TI-99/4A computer. I can still hear the rhythmic background music!

I believe that version has some of the features you mention--plus, these tricky parts where the only way to cross a pair of craters is to land on the tiny strip between them, then jump again. Requires picking the right speed for your buggy, and careful timing!

BTW, let's hear it for that father who gave your school those computer games. A Cool Dad to be sure!

==LeVar Ravel

LeVarRavel.com

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 24, 2018 (08:08 PM)

I think that might be the version the Apple IIe got, as well. I seem to remember leaping onto a ridiculously thin patch of land in the middle of a huge pit, and having to leap again immediately. And there were dynamite areas where I just held down the jump button and hoped I had approached the start of the bunch at the right speed. It was a slight bit tougher--and cheaper, really--than anything in the arcade version that is reproduced for Switch.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 25, 2018 (12:10 PM)

I started with the arcade version but played the Atari 2600 more frequently on my friend's system. That simple melody has stuck with me my entire life, and its an odd thing that I never covered it when I was producing music in the 1990s to early 2000s. Infectious is a word and solid gameplay are two more that apply easily to this well preserved classic.

Good to see Nintendo taking the road less travelled.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.