Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week March 5-11. I can sit again! Hallelujah!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 13, 2018 (12:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm going to keep this one brief because I've finally healed enough that I can sit in my computer chair again. I've been itching to get through a few Steam games, especially Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (which I plan to review).

THIRD PLACE
Majyuuou #### Follow_Freeman
I'm a sucker for reviews of games I've never heard of, especially if they're interesting. This one dishes all of the good info I would want to read, plus you do a great job of praising the game's presentation. There are only a couple of snags here in the form of typos, plus the penultimate paragraph needs some polish, but this is an otherwise cleverly written and entertaining review.

SECOND PLACE
Rage Quest: The Worst Game #### EmP
I would say that your work was pretty well lined up for you. It's game that makes fun of bad RPGs whilst falling into the traps it parodies. However, you balanced this review terrifically by saying, "Hey, wait, this game actually does do a few things correctly!" The examples you gave for its positive elements left me wondering if I shouldn't check the game out after all. It's one thing to criticize a game that blatantly leaves itself open for criticism, but you went beyond that to show us that it's not entirely a waste of time.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Dragon Warrior VII #### Overdrive
Two RPGs placed this week, and this one won because it's a very detailed review that flows wonderfully. You do a great job of detailing why this is a painful game to play, plus you give us a little history lesson to provide some context. The game is a product of a need to cash in on Final Fantasy VII's success. You don't settle for merely saying that the game is boring, but dish out a well organized series of reasons why nearly every aspect renders this title one of the most unloved DQ games. This is a skillful evisceration and a genuinely good, thoughful review.

---

That's all I got...

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 13, 2018 (01:29 PM)

Glad you're feeling better, Joe, the site has missed your work. Congrats to Rob, who was due. I read and liked both Emp's and Freeman's stuff this week -- for awhile I thought this would be Freeman's week, but I am sure it's coming soon. He's due as well.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 13, 2018 (01:57 PM)

Props to [REDACTED] for this first win of the year. I'll update the Site King score shortly

Keep plugging away, Freeman; your time is surely coming. Cheers to Joe for the topic and the kind words. If you have the means, you should give Rage Quest a go. It'll annoy you, but it'll surely surprise you as well.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Follow_Freeman
Posted: March 13, 2018 (06:53 PM)

Congrats to EmP and Overdrive for the placings of their great reviews! I'm glad people seemed to enjoy mine, too; my best work is waiting on me to get screenshots, though. I think they won't be as humorous, but those looking for a good analysis are going to get some. I'd better start writing my reviews in Word instead of Notepad, however; I've so little time I can't check for typos.

Incidentally, I find it ironic that the week's #1 was of Dragon Warrior VII, which I wasted 11 hours on, even after resorting to my practice of giving up on the physical copy, save scumming and fastforwarding to skip as much monotony as possible. Guess I don't have to slog through the rest!

https://youtu.be/n_ZvkrLkQxY?t=71

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 13, 2018 (11:39 PM)

Thanks, Marc! It's good to be back at it.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 14, 2018 (10:50 AM)

Thanks for picking me for the win! I STILL GOT IT!!!!

FF
Yeah, it kind of hurts my soul to say a Dragon Warrior/Quest game (at least main series; haven't bothered with any of the side games) isn't really worth playing, but it's hard to not come to that conclusion here. Hell, the only reason I got through it was simply because I love the series and for a DQ fan, it offers just enough to keep me into it. But if you don't unconditionally love DQ, you'll probably hate this installment.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.