Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week January 8 - 14: Android Edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 17, 2018 (09:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Bear with me, I'm posting this topic via smart phone. Yes, I did this whole thing on my Android.

This week marks my return to ROTW! I have read your opinions and recommendations, and now I shall weigh them. And my, how difficult weighing was this week! We didn't have a huge number, but what we had was high quality.
---

Vintage Hero #### honestgamer
I liked the bit at the beginning, even though it made me miss Desura. Readers who have never played a Mega Man game benefit the most from this review, as it:

1) Succinctly details how Mega Man games function

2) Compares Vintage Hero features and Mega Man's formula

3) Explains why the former isn't all that great

4) Lets readers know if they aren't familiar with the Vintage Hero's inspiration, they probably won't care much for the game.

It's an effective enough review that it told me that VH is probably not my thing.

Pic-A-Pix #### honestgamer
I can't fault you for this review being technical. It's tricky to write anything more than technical, dry material for casual products. I appreciate this review, though, because it doesn't assume that the reader is familiar with picross games. Shocking twist: I've never played a picross game and this review told me all I need to know about them, plus its sections dedicated to DLC are useful information. This isn't an exciting read, but it's properly informative.

Lost Home #### Masters
There's an undertone of regret here. I sense that you wanted to praise this game, but honestly couldn't do so. I've been there many times, and I'm sure many of us have as well. The first half of this piece is technical, but informative. The piece comes together best in its later half, when you take the game apart and show us why it doesn't work. It's a shame that the game exudes an old school charm I'd love, but also features broken mechanics.

Super Castlevania IV #### Follow_Freeman
This was a pretty slim review. It was a quick read and didn't drag, but it lacks some details. I think it would benefit from expansion, but it's an otherwise decent piece.

THIRD PLACE
Rock 'N Roll Grand Prix #### honestgamer
I'm a sucker for a good bash review, and this one is terrific. "Broccoli strapped to a rollerskate" and "...school zone speeds and turning sharply are more than these automobiles can handle" both chuckles out of me. I think you properly dismantled this game and sent it to the junk heap, where it apparently belongs.

SECOND PLACE
Iji #### Follow_Freeman
I'll lead off with my only complaint about this review: a couple of it's sentences are overloaded, and would've read more smoothly as independent thoughts. Otherwise, this is a great review with a wealth of information. The bits about story and visuals are also not too technical, and help make this a snappy read. It's passionately written, too, as a 5/5 rating ought to be.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Attentat 1942 #### EmP
The only glaring flaw I'm going to point out is typos. The review has a few of them. Otherwise, this is a carefully constructed review of a game I initially had no interest in playing. It takes a talented touch to make a game partly focused on dialogue and interviews sound interesting, and you accomplished that without spoiling the story.

---

Thus concludes this week's ROTW. Now shoo!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 17, 2018 (11:41 PM)

Thanks for the topic, and for your comments on my three reviews from last week. I meant to put together additional reviews to add to the pile, but life kicked those plans around a bit and so I had to delay additional review output for a bit.

Congrats to the others who participated this week, obviously. As noted, it was a tough week.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 18, 2018 (02:50 AM)

Mad props for doing this on a phone. I don't think I would've been that dedicated.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 18, 2018 (09:19 PM)

When it came to RotW this week, Joe definitely "phoned it in." I think that's a site first, actually. I'm a bit impressed myself!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 19, 2018 (02:58 AM)

I remember, right back in the day, that Boo claimed to have written a review out on his Dreamcast using the on-screen keyboard rather than a physical one. But I only half believed that.

Thanks for the placement and good work on getting the topic out via such a fiddly medium. You've considerable more patience than I.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Follow_Freeman
Posted: January 19, 2018 (01:24 PM)

"Android Edition"? I don't think Joe did this on an Android phone; I think this is a confession that Joe IS an android. The staff bio says he was created when a truckload of chemicals (from Kemco/Chem-co?) collided with a rental store. That's plausible cause to creating an android. Right?

Oh, right, the reviews. The site's surely off to a strong start this year! I really appreciate how we have review of modern games and older games instead of just trying to rush in reviews of every game coming out each week. And there are so many games coming out these days that one can afford to be picky. Great reviews all around!

A song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RqzFkV2K4g
Film reviews: https://letterboxd.com/Follow_Freeman/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVo7uK3vlYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aToOckImfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpJTLpPLD0

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.