Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > drella's Vigilante review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 19, 2008 (08:51 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I enjoyed this review; you either do a lot of worthwhile research when you hit up titles like this one or you hold a worryingly large amount of knowledge about such things. Eitherway, I appreciate the read; I learnt something new and was entertained at the same time.

Here, though, is a typo:

until one single punch shatters the weapon and your fighting essentially the same goon you fought in stage one.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: October 19, 2008 (09:08 AM)

I hold a worringly large amount of knowledge about such things.

EDIT: Actually, I'll come clean and say I do a fair amount of research and quite a bit of note taking before I cover anything these days. But when I talk about influences on the genre, I do rely largely on my perceptions, because I have played almost everything. I've never heard anyone argue Vigilante was influential. It's always DD and FF, and rightfully so, but they can't be the only two because they don't explain enough. So despite being absolutely horrible, I think it was. Not in a good way. But in order to get to the quasi-seriousness of the better titles, there needs to be goofy mistakes along the way, and this is the first of those.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: October 20, 2008 (12:21 PM)

THIS IS A GREAT REVIEW! I literally was laughing the whole time, no joke. The SKINHEADS!! LMAO. Wow, thanks for a great read, Drella, holy crap!

" In fact, it is the foremost example of a bad beat ‘em up that can be found, a lopsided column of sticks and mud between two gleaming towers. It is the town drunk in the stocks, on display for all to see what sorts of buffoonery in this genre will not be tolerated. Name any bad beat ‘em up. Its missing chromosomes are due to mating with this mess."

The skinheads have taken Madonna hostage, for Chrissakes!!! HAHAHA. Bravo, drella.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

*Oscar Wilde*

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 15, 2008 (05:47 PM)

Man. This really is a good review, not that I wasn't expecting it to be or anything. It was definitely amusing - I loved the line where you pointed out the obvious ridiculousness of the plot. Good stuff this is.

I did find a typo, though... Sorry.

It’s goofy and disjoint; its plotline

should be "disjointed".

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 16, 2008 (10:24 AM)

Great review. It's easy to take potshots at bad games, but it's hard to do it with such venom. You really care about getting Vigilante on its knees and punching it in the head until it can't speak anymore. It must've have really hurt you bad.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: November 18, 2008 (04:41 PM)

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Yes, disjoint is sort of incorrect there, but it's not a typo because I meant for it to be incorrect as an allusion to the mathematical sense (having no sets in common - as Vigilante has little in common with its more popular peers) as well as conveying that the story wasn't cohesive. So I guess it didn't work. But I like doing my own, albeit very weird, thing sometimes. Since I write beat 'em up reviews mostly for myself, I just generally try to entertain myself most times.

Did you get MAME working yet, by the way, WQ?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 18, 2008 (05:10 PM)

Ah, well, that makes sense. Whatever amuses you, I suppose. Haha.

Anyway, no; Romnation's being dumb. I still get a "different ip" message whenever I go to download it. I hve no idea why outside of the security program I had to download for school, but like I said earlier, that's never caused a problem for me before.... So I don't even know if that's really the issue. I suppose I could try downloading it at home or something, but I'd need to go to the library for that and since it's winterish, I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. This is just very strange why I can't even download the thing.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.