Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Alien: Isolation review

This thread is in response to a review for Alien: Isolation on the PlayStation 4. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Zydrate
Posted: November 06, 2017 (12:39 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I have this game wishlisted but I'm a little worried about the difficulty curve or just... difficulty in general? Is this game punishing or is it like most stealth games? I can handle most stealth games.

My Tumblr (Don't worry, I just talk about games)
My Steam Profile

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 06, 2017 (02:00 PM)

It's pretty much as I said in the review, where the Alien can kill you instantly if it spots and charges for you. Early on, you outright have to avoid the Alien or toss something loud, in a completely different direction, to guide the Alien away. It's only a little later on where you start getting items that will "shoo" the creature while in a face-to-face confrontation. There also have been instances late in the game where the Alien actually crawled in wall vents after me. HOWEVER, I have seen other playthroughs where the same happened very early. Dunno if it was because they were making too much noise or a different difficulty setting?

Getting spotted is as iffy as I mentioned. Even after writing the review, I don't completely understand what constitutes as being "found." I think it's trying a little too hard to be realistic in that regard. For example: you can hide underneath a desk or stretcher and anyone that walks beside it won't notice you. However, if someone has a clear view of you from a distance, there's a 50/50 chance you'll be found.

Getting spotted by armed humans is the most annoying thing about this game. They can pretty much kill you in two to three shots, and their aim is AMAZING.

Though, this is based on the default difficulty setting. So, it's up to that, I guess.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 06, 2017 (02:14 PM)

I should also mention I originally started my playthrough on the difficulty above normal, but switched it back to normal when the armed humans were being too annoying.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Zydrate
Posted: November 06, 2017 (03:30 PM)

I'll wait for another sale and play on the easiest mode possible.

My Tumblr (Don't worry, I just talk about games)
My Steam Profile

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.