Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Final Fantasy XII review

This thread is in response to a review for Final Fantasy XII on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: October 15, 2008 (09:55 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is a good review. You really drove home the point that the game is really complex and not newbie-friendly, but I didn't mind, because the whole game that's all I ever thought. So, it's good to have a review that pretty much describes the gaming experience to a T.

The one thing I noticed, and far be it from me to say because I'm not a great reviewer and I almost feel guilty for saying this because I really am a HUGE fan of your reviews, is that sometimes it feels like the review is geared towards people who already know what the game is like. I understand what you were talking about because I've played the game, but I could see someone who wouldn't know Final Fantasy 12 from Flesh Fantasies 12 not having a clue what you were talking about sometimes. (for instance, you don't really describe the turn based style of the game. You almost make it seem like a Tales-like action-RPG from what I gathered.)

Regardless, not every review has to be geared towards newbies, since there's a ton of reviews out there on the game, and it's nice to read one that explains the game pretty much perfectly. Another great review from you.

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 15, 2008 (10:44 PM)

Thanks a lot for the compliments. Just hearing any praise for it means something because this was one I struggled with for a long time.

I about had to take a "newbie-unfriendly" mode just because of how big the game is. I'm trying to keep my reviews more concise than they used to be in the GameFAQs days (no more 11K FF VII monsters), but when I'm talking about a big game that I spent a ton of time with, it's hard to not binge on words. One of my main problems with what I was writing was that I seemed to be on the verge of getting into Ashley Winchester-length if I talked about everything I felt notable. So, I decided that due to the fact I'm not exactly talking about an obscure game people don't know much about, I could afford to slant my review towards people with familiarity towards the game. At least that way, my review might be different from the masses that already have touched this game.

I've actually found over the years that since, with the exception of free games I get from Jason for immediate review, everything I do is either a retro game or a modern game ranging from a few months to a couple of years old, that I am far more comfortable writing in a style that assumes the reader has some knowledge of the game. Like, if you read my DQ 5 review I did last week, I went into great detail on how, unlike other DQ games, this one made the plot a big focus and did so nicely. But when it comes to my gameplay comments, if you don't know the DQ style of gameplay, you'll just come away knowing I like that style, but not necessarily what it is.

I think it's because I'm a lot better at explaining how a game makes me feel and why it makes me feel what I feel than I am at explaining the more technical aspects of how it works. That might explain why, out of all the reviews (6-10) I've done for HG-freebies, I'm only truly proud of a couple of them (DQ VIII and the Gundam fighting game whatever it was called....and maybe Metal Saga). I thought a number of the others came off as forced because I was trying to explain too much, as opposed to just saying what I felt.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: October 16, 2008 (03:41 AM)

Nice review as always, dood. You'd probably like Final Fantasy XI too. It's basically FFXII in a different world and online.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: October 18, 2008 (11:38 PM)

The person on the cover has to be the most gender-confused character in any game, ever.

EDIT: maybe not ever, but it's up there.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 19, 2008 (12:14 AM)

Good thing you edited that in there, because if you hadn't I'd be happy to find an image that'd prove you dead wrong.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.