Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > true's Silent Hill: Homecoming review

This thread is in response to a review for Silent Hill: Homecoming on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: October 15, 2008 (03:12 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Sweet review. Loved the imagery, very intimate. I thought about buying this game today, and I think you may have sold me. Great review.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

*Oscar Wilde*

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 15, 2008 (06:24 AM)

True, this is excellent work. I can say that, though I wholly disagree with you -- that's quite a feat then. I would get into details here, but I'll have my own review up shortly. Again, kudos on a strong review that's just the right length.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: disco1960
Posted: October 15, 2008 (07:02 AM)

Aw, yeah. That's the stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting it now!

...if I ever get around to buying a system to play it on. :(

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 15, 2008 (08:32 AM)

Not me!

Curse you, Silent Hill 4 -- I will hate you for the rest of my days.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 15, 2008 (08:41 AM)

I'd say this review was a little overwritten in spots, but of all the complaints I could issue, that one isn't very damning. This review still made its point vividly, and like Masters said, it's just the right length. You managed to sell me on Homecoming, and I've never played a Silent Hill game in my life.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (09:15 AM)

And God knows, 'overwriting' is IN, on this site. But yeah, he did something right: you aren't into Silent Hill at all, and I don't agree with his opinion, and we both liked his review well enough.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: October 15, 2008 (10:28 AM)

Heh. Yeah. This was a good review. Since the point was to explain that the game revived the original Silent Hill's horror atmosphere, I don't feel bothered that you didn't go into as much detail about specific gameplay aspects, which obviously, from the review, aren't nearly as important as the atmosphere.

If nothing else, it makes me want to check the series out. Something I've been meaning to do for a while, but never got around to it. Maybe I'll just skip 4 and go to this one if the rest are good/decent. But I don't have a PS3 either.

I did find one random typo, though: now giving you the ability to doge and string together combos.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (10:33 AM)

I had no interest in Homecoming beforehand, but having read this review... well, I probably still won't play it, but that's not True's fault. I'm just not interested in Silent Hill, which, yeah, makes it all the more commendable that True held my attention for this whole thing.

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: October 15, 2008 (10:34 AM)

There were a few typos, but I didn't know if it was prim and proper to call them out on the board like that, but apparently it is :P.

You spelled rubble as "ruble"

Aw, man, I feel bad.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

*Oscar Wilde*

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (11:35 AM)

OMIGOSH, you guys are SO not prim and proper. Assholes, honestly. Ha, now I'm thinking of Barney Ruble.

WQ, the game is on Xbox 360 too. Really only Silent Hill 1 and 2 are worth bothering with, I'd say. Four is just... dumb. Origins is fun if you have a PSP, which is why I was really hoping they were back on track with Homecoming.

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (11:42 AM)

Ah. That's good to know. Unfortunately, I have neither a PSP nor Xbox 360, either. Haha.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (01:05 PM)

Do you have any systems? Surely you don't write reviews based on the back of game boxes?

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (01:29 PM)

She seems to have a PC.

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (01:45 PM)

And a PS2, and a DS, and a GBA! =D

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:07 PM)

You have a DS? Wow, you do have something current.

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:10 PM)

Ah, so you can play Silent Hill 1, 2, and Origins -- the best of the bunch in any case!

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:22 PM)

WQ: Go play Silent Hill 1.

True: Powerful stuff, little buddy. So much so that I point out these errors because them existing in your review is as big a crime as the music you listen to.

On the next gen-systems, and withHomecoming’s gritty, detailed graphics it has a much stronger impact.

Use that spacebar!

It may be a man-less wheel chair rolling down a stair case after you’ve walked by.

Wheelchair is one word. Empty wheelchair might work better.

EmP out!

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:26 PM)

Do they even sell it anymore?

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:27 PM)

America don't have second hand games shops?

Bulldozed them down to make way for more McDonalds?

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:28 PM)

Ebay. Or used game stores like EB, but more the mom and pop used game stores.

board icon
Posted: October 15, 2008 (02:28 PM)

LOL Sure we do; I just... don't know if it'd be in there. I usually never find the games I'm looking for in there.

I'd actually forgotten about that, though.

EDIT: I heard stuff on E-bay's getting crazy expensive because I heard they're not making PS games anymore. Plus I neither haave an e-bay account nor a Paypal account because I don't like my money being handled online... even if it is safe at those two places. With phishers and everything.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: October 15, 2008 (11:41 PM)

Thanks for the feedback, all. I really appreciate it considering this is my first review in over a year. And don't feel like jerks for pointing out those little quirks (of which I've already fixed). I'd rather you said something here than having me direct all those jokers at Gamestop--who prefer Game Informer--and having some silly typos come back to haunt me.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: October 16, 2008 (09:24 AM)

Silent Hill 2 is probably the best in the series(don't know about this one yet though). Powerful psychological game, and certainly the most popular characters are from it.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: October 16, 2008 (11:44 PM)

Great review as always, true.

Off topic convo: Yes, PS1 games are crazy expensive nowadays. When I saw SH1 going for 40+ on the Bay I decided to break down and buy a modded PS1. Best 50 bucks I've ever spent. :D

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: Probester
Posted: October 17, 2008 (09:35 PM)

Going to have to say that 2 was the best one.

Zombie Survivor Journal: On hiatus, site nonsense scrapped

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.