Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 24th July -- 30th July // The Battle of the Vanguards

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 04, 2017 (04:20 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Only the three reviews this week -- bad for the site, good for burn-suffering writer's self-imposed to whittle away what little tim they do have on mini tourney blathering. But all three reviews are from firmly established staffer; some might say those that provide the very backbone of this little site of ours. Today is the battle of Jason, Joe and Rob “Rob” Robbington. No flashy introduction required.

THIRD

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 04, 2017 (05:14 PM)

Spacing error fixed, and thank you for the victory and the topic!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 04, 2017 (05:40 PM)

The Splatoon review didn't come easily.

I wrote about the single-player stuff first, which at least went reasonably well, and then I penciled in space for the online discussion.

Unfortunately, my Switch wouldn't let me connect to any matches, so I spent most of a day trying to figure out how to fix that with no progress. I decided next to try a wired connection, to change the NAT type. That meant ordering an adaptor online and waiting for it to arrive... which it did, without really fixing anything.

Eventually, I settled on the fix of buying a new router (which I figure will address similar issues the PS4 and Xbox One have given me). Then I had to play the game in a bunch of matches to get a feel for everything, and finally I could write the paragraphs to slap into that section of the review.

It was all a bit of an ordeal, and to be honest, I was relieved the review turned out as well as it did.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 05, 2017 (12:56 AM)

Did Jason review Life is Strange?

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 05, 2017 (07:37 AM)

Nope, I covered Splatoon 2. EmP was probably using a template and just forgot to update the title, if I had to guess.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 05, 2017 (12:55 PM)

I thought he was making an in-joke, so I didn't question it.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 05, 2017 (01:59 PM)

I'm glad there's still someone around here that can question EmP.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 06, 2017 (07:53 AM)

I think the reason I had some struggles with this review is part of why I'm working to cut down the number of games I play at once. Sometimes, games just fall through the cracks, so while I'm focusing on this one or that one, one like Bastion just sort of gets played once every few weeks for an hour or so (until the last half-dozen stages, when I ripped through it). So, I had an idea of what I was saying when I reviewed it, but my early memories were pretty foggy just because it had been so long since I'd started it and it took so long before it was anything more than a light diversion.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.