Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week - July 17 - 23 - A Place for Everybody!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 26, 2017 (12:15 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The post-tourney fatigue continues. There were 5 reviews posted this week, 3 of them from Jason (who is doing his best to continue providing content during the dry spell. Bless). So we've got 3 different authors and 3 spots on the list. This will be quick.

Third Place
Box Up by Jason Venter

Of Jason's three reviews this week, I thought Box Up came out ahead, and it's really down to this line, which I'm going to quote because it's pretty good. "After playing a number of games from RCMADIAX, I've come to realize the studio produces roughly two types of games: bad ones and very bad ones." I'm not sure why you put yourself through these games. It's also telling that your description of Flappy Bird actually leaves a stronger impression than your review for Box Up, which is actually a great way of illustrating just how blah this game actually is. It's like "this game is bad, so I'm barely going to talk about it. It's a lot like this game, which is actually more interesting to talk about."

Second Place
Live A Live by Rob "Rob" Robbington

This is an interesting retrospective for a SNES RPG. It is perhaps let down by the list aspect, as it makes the flaws of the game seem repetitive, and none of the sections sounded particularly fun. I don't really have much more to say except that I have heard of this game, but knew nothing about it until now, so I came away from this review feeling educated, but not inspired to give it a go.

Review of the Week
Toki: Going Ape Spit by Pickhut

Of the few reviews posted this week, this one felt like the tightest. I liked the introduction setting up the expectation that this review is going to complain about cheap deaths, but then you pull back and explain how it's actually a slower-paced platformer that rewards caution. I think this game would make me break a controller, but each to their own. You make a solid, convincing argument, and I can respect that.

That's it from me this week. It's a bit brief (and two days late). Work has been absolute hell this week, so I'm mentally fatigued. So glad there wasn't much to read, or this would've been done on the weekend. :)

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 26, 2017 (11:52 AM)

Thanks for the recognition and comments. That was a tricky review to write that I had to edit down a few times before submitting for approval because it was just so damn long. Still pretty long, I think, but I couldn't figure out too many ways to cut more stuff out without completely gutting and rewriting it.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 26, 2017 (07:46 PM)

Thanks for the topic, and the comments on my review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: July 26, 2017 (11:31 PM)

Thanks for the RotW! I wasn't sure how people would feel about the intentionally repetitive opening, so it's nice hearing that it was effective when describing the rest of the game in the review.

And a congrats to both Venter and OD for keeping this week lively with their contributions. It's always fun seeing OD tackle an oldschool RPG, and watching Venter take on all these RCMADIAX games is pretty funny. Reminds me of the days when I tried reviewing as many Micronet games as I can in my quest to find a decent one.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.