Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 26th June -- 2nd July // The After-Tourney Burn-Out Edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 04, 2017 (11:46 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Last week poor Jerec caught the brunt of our first site tourney in about a year. This week, I reap the rewards of a run-down writing base sticking to their principles of submitting everything at the last minute or signing up and then never turning up. There’s a reasonable number of reviews to go through this week, but most of them are via Zydrate as she makes a very healthy attempt to take over the site and claim the front page as her very own.

THIRD

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: July 04, 2017 (01:10 PM)

I think my point with the "before it was cool" statement was the fact that the original Fallout never made the kind of record-breaking sales figures that Fallout 4 did upon its release. That game is still 3rd on Steamcharts' all-time highest record of concurrent players, right underneath Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, for gods' sake. It is still weird to me that a sci-fi game with such a peculiar and brainy aesthetic reached such heights when considering its (relatively) humble beginnings. Also, hardly any other PC gamers I knew back then were playing Fallout or even knew what it was. If they were into RPGs, they were likely all playing the D&D stuff or fawning over the latest Final Fantasy ported to PC.

Thanks for the win, by the way :) Also, thank you for reminding me that one of yours is going to carry over to next week. Your trials and tribulations while reviewing assembly-line Telltale stuffs will not be in vain!

placid like acid

board icon
Author: Zydrate
Posted: July 04, 2017 (08:33 PM)

I did not mean to imply that Telltale made LiS, I know it wasn't. I just meant that LiS was actually my first Telltale-ESQUE game that got me to actually buy in to the resurgence of the point-and-click adventure game.

The first paragraph mostly served as an intro/summary/thesis of sorts while I got into the game proper.

Also that's a fair amount of negative for a second place. I don't suppose you could elaborate as to why I placed despite all that?

My Tumblr (Don't worry, I just talk about games)
My Steam Profile

board icon
Posted: July 05, 2017 (11:23 AM)

I was pretty critical with feedback this week. I didn’t want to just hand out arse-pats, hair ruffles and good jobs but offer some criticism that someone may or may not want to work on. Or complete ignore, whatever works. Still, it was a good piece that earned its spot for being reflectful. Though a lot of the out-loud thinking did negate your review as a review by delving into ending spoilers, it took on probably the biggest issue a lot of people had with the game, broke it down and explained why it wasn’t a big deal to you. It was a little naive in places (everyone died. You killed them all. Deal with it, you monster!) but I think that makes it all the more powerful. It shows that you want to delve behind the plot because the game had an emotional effect on you, and that’s difficult to get across in written words, so that you managed to do so is worthy of note.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 05, 2017 (04:42 PM)

One day I'm going to plan a contest and have the deadline coincide with your week.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: July 06, 2017 (04:34 AM)

Ah, but you're the week before me, so you'd catch some of it, too.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.