Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Alphabetolympics letter assignments!

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: October 28, 2008 (11:12 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You have to wonder if random-spam like that actually ever works. I suppose it must, otherwise we wouldn't still be seeing it.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 29, 2008 (12:17 AM)

It doesn't work on a site like HonestGamers and actually takes more effort than normal, since the forums are proprietary. But whoever decides to do that can't know that... so we'll keep seeing it as our audience continues to grow.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Blelftini requested its removal.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 29, 2008 (10:57 AM)

Persistent little buggers.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 31, 2008 (08:05 PM)

I dug into my old collection and have posted my review. I did M, so I choose "Metal Gear Solid: VR Training." Maybe not the most interesting title, as there really isn't that much meat for a reviewer to chew on, but I was surprised no one had reviewed it yet.

And the real point of the contest is to fill HG with good reviews, so I felt it was all very much in the correct spirit.

M is a surprisingly tricky letter to do. There's tons of options, but most of them have been done ten times over. Metroid, Mario, Morrowind... some good cult classics, too. Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Masochistic Young School Girls... lots of good stuff.

I really wanted to do Morrowind, cause I've got a lot to bitch about with that game, but like I said... it's been done.

Anyways, I may STILL do a Morrowind review in the future.

Hey... that was ALMOST a rant, wasn't it?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: October 31, 2008 (08:22 PM)

Morrowind's techinically under E for Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, anyway.

I love Morrowind. I want to write a review of my own some day, and have consistently been beaten to it. By the time I get around to it, it'll truly be over-reviewed.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: October 31, 2008 (08:48 PM)

Morrowind for me is a wonderful failure of a game.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: November 01, 2008 (01:51 AM)

I found Morrowind to be utterly spellbinding despite it's flaws. By comparison, Oblivion felt polished yet bland.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2008 (09:29 AM)

That's a good assesment. I played Morrowind for months, but I only played Oblivion for about an hour.

Both games lacked focus, though. There were too many random little quests without meaning that bogged me down.

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2008 (10:02 AM)

To be fair, the first hour of Oblivion is god awful.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: November 01, 2008 (10:30 AM)

13 days left!

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2008 (11:41 AM)

I liked the first hour of Oblivion. Certainly, it didn't lack focus. It's the rest of the game after you get out of the tunnels that leaves a person wondering "What now?"

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 01, 2008 (11:49 AM)

It's the "What now?" feeling that makes the game! The claustrophobic and confined start of the sewers are universally hated!

I spent far too much time with Oblivion. It's just now hit home just how many words I ploughed into that review. Yikes!

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 01, 2008 (12:07 PM)

When playing Oblivion for the first time, experiencing the opening sewer segment was kind of enthralling. But experiencing similar segments, be they in sewers, catacombs, or caves, got kind of tiresome because the majority of quests required you to delve into banal underground areas. Traversing the outside world, though, that never got old for me.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: johnny_cairo
Posted: November 01, 2008 (02:04 PM)

The expansion packs didn't help to break up the monotony of endless dungeon diving, although I must give Shivering Isles credit for trying to be really weird. (It's mostly irritating thanks to the Prince)

A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself. -Tom Stoppard

board icon
Posted: November 02, 2008 (09:02 AM)

Good point. The underground areas could never be as interesting as the outside.

But then, I really didn't like any of the Elder Scrolls games.

board icon
Author: Sclem
Posted: November 02, 2008 (06:35 PM)

I'm writing for this and making an appearance writing for a game with an asterisk in it, such as Q*bert.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 02, 2008 (09:32 PM)

Haha. Go for it. I reviewed Q*bert once.

And I have become the third person to finish his/her tourney review.

Jim Power: The Arcade Game

Hope it's good.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: November 02, 2008 (11:31 PM)

I'm plodding along with an odd Half-Life 2 piece that isn't quite working yet. Might as well be a little ambitious with my writing for a competition's sake.

board icon
Posted: November 03, 2008 (10:11 AM)

It might have been obvious, but I want to say I think this is a great idea for a contest. Great way to get a bunch of writers together, great way to produce more material for the site, great way to compare your work with that of others... excellent.

Is there a place where the submissions can be listed, so that we know what's been written already, by whom, and where we can read it?

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than Loyantam requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: November 05, 2008 (03:19 PM)

Here's a review I just wrote. I might turn in something better before the deadline, but there's a better chance that I won't, so here's the link:

The Sims 2: Apartment Life

Enjoy... and pick me the winner!

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: November 09, 2008 (07:44 PM)

I missed the sign-ups, but I posted a B review in case Suskie doesn't show. Actually, I just posted a B review for the hell of it, and then happened to notice that was Suskie's letter. But still, you know what I mean. Yeah.

//Zig

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: November 09, 2008 (09:39 PM)

Hey men, I still don't have a fuckin' D game. Any suggestions?

_

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 09, 2008 (10:05 PM)

Desert Falcon (Atari 2600 OR 7800).....knowing that the difference between the two is the difference between a 1 and a 3.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.