Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Alphabetolympics letter assignments!

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: October 13, 2008 (04:00 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Here are the letter assignments for the Alphabetolympics. They are final and there won’t be any trading. HOWEVER, you can change your letter by acquiring a dropout’s letter. It kinda defeats the purpose of this tournament but is a clever way to beat the system and probably worth considering if you got a crappy letter.

Also if you must drop out (even though I asked you not to sign up if you can’t make the deadline or don’t want to deal with a crappy letter) please do it at least two weeks before the deadline. The reason for this is so someone can take your place. There might be other people who want to join this but missed signups, and it’s not fair to drop out a few days before the deadline when someone else could’ve taken that spot.

The deadline will be Friday, November 14th at 11:59PM HG-time. So basically you have all day Friday to finish your review and any review submitted between the moment I created this topic and the deadline can be used. This is exactly a month, and if you’re new to this and want to pace yourself this should give you a week and a half to find a game, two weeks to play it, and a week to write the review. If you have any questions about your game being allowed or not or anything else either post them in this topic or send me a private message. Remember that it’s better to be safe than sorry, so even if you have the slightest bit of uncertainty you’re probably better off asking me than risking reviewing an invalid title.

There are two judges confirmed: Jerec and a mystery judge (for now at least). We still need one more.

Now on to the letters !

# - Timrod - 3x3 Eyes
A - EmP - Alisia Dragoon
B - Suskie - Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
C - DoI - Castle Crashers
D - Genj
E - Sho - Exile
F - Iraff
G - Pickhut - Guilty Gear 2
H - Lewis - Half-Life 2
I - Bbobb
J - Wolfqueen - Jim Power: The Arcade Game
K - Penguin
L - Sportsman - The Legend of Zelda
M - Zipp - Mirror's Edge
N - Blah
O - Darketernal - Out of this world
P - BELISARIOS
Q - Dagoss
R - True - Resistance 2
S - Venter - The Sims 2: Apartment Life
T - Will
U - Overdrive - Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
V - Drella - Vigilante
W - Bluberry - WAD
X - MYass - X-Kaliber 2097
Y - Cairo
Z - Janus

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 13, 2008 (04:07 PM)

Wow, I actually have a big choice of titles to review this time around. That's a first.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Ulv
Posted: October 13, 2008 (04:10 PM)

Well, isn't luck with me these days?

*gets to working*

Small room, turning in the half-night, is drowned in the motion of the traffic outside.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 13, 2008 (04:13 PM)

Oh, come on! Have I not written enough A reviews this year?

I wrote one just bloody yesterday!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 13, 2008 (04:19 PM)

Awesome, I already know what I'll review. This is certainly better than the letter I had last year, though I made that work so this should be no problem.

Poor Timrod. And Dagoss. And Cairo. Hey, didn't Cairo have Y last year too?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: October 13, 2008 (04:30 PM)

I already have the perfect game in mind.

(Tee hee hee!)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: October 13, 2008 (05:24 PM)

Eh. J... this'll be interesting.

Haha. Ulv got the same letter as I did on my first Alpha contest.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: johnny_cairo
Posted: October 13, 2008 (06:00 PM)

By the time this tourney is over I will have reviewed 25% of all games starting with the letter Y. Fate (or at least Jerec??) doesn't favor me.

A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself. -Tom Stoppard

board icon
Author: Iraff
Posted: October 13, 2008 (06:15 PM)

Capital! I have a wide array to choose from. My compliments to the letter F!

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: October 13, 2008 (06:39 PM)

Holy cows, I just reviewed Koudelka like 3 days ago! :(

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: October 13, 2008 (06:58 PM)

D LIKE THE GRADES I GET

_

board icon
Posted: October 13, 2008 (07:44 PM)

Dammit why didn't I make the deadline a week later so I can review Left4Dead?

Oh, well. For being such a common letter 'L' isn't as good as I initially thought it would be but far from the worst. Think I know what game I will review.

board icon
Posted: October 13, 2008 (07:56 PM)

I don't think anyone here would complain about an additional week, were you to change the deadline.

board icon
Posted: October 13, 2008 (08:47 PM)

Nah, I don't really care that much. If the deadline is pushed back too far people tend to lose interest and forget all about these things.

board icon
Posted: October 13, 2008 (09:02 PM)

Actually, I was pushing for my own ulterior motives: An extra week would give me more than three days to play and review my game. Don't worry though, I'll manage.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 13, 2008 (09:46 PM)

Wow! U!!! FUCKING THANKS!!!!!

Do you people think I'm dagoss and simply able to pop out an Ultima review on the drop of a hat?!?!? Which he would do if you asked him, considering he loves RPGs of the AD&D Gold Box and Wizardry clans. Me? No.....hell no.....

So, I have no option but to deliver punishment with a review of a game deserving of nothing less than my "best". My best praise for a truly iconic game. My best glorifying adjectives. My best eloquence. Prepare to be devoured by my majestic prose and then spit out as you're deemed unworthy of viewing it!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 13, 2008 (10:13 PM)

Ironically, 'S' is generally one of the best letters you can get in a thing like this--and something I would never get--yet I have around 10 games lined up to review in the coming month (games I pretty much have to review, and the sooner the better) with none of them starting with that letter. So even though I should be singing Jerec's praises... I'm not.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: October 13, 2008 (10:21 PM)

Anybody know a good game that starts with K? I already reviewed Kung Fu and Kung Fu Heroes. Maybe Kiwi Kraze. AHA! YES! SUCCESS GET!!

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Posted: October 13, 2008 (10:26 PM)

Kuru Kuru Kururin.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: October 13, 2008 (11:45 PM)

I just used a random string generator, and I didn't even look at who was assigned each letter, only the numbers. Therefore, no bias. Good luck to all!

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: October 14, 2008 (12:00 AM)

Can I do Zelda?

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: True
Posted: October 14, 2008 (12:06 AM)

GAH! I was one letter away from my dream choice! I'm still going to do Silent Hill to cast off the rust, but now I must go backwards in the Alphabet. Damn you, Venter. Even though you had nothing to do with this, I blindly blame you and now promise your demise!

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: October 14, 2008 (12:06 AM)

Ace, I reckon I probably got the best letter there. Though I might try not to do the obvious one.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: October 14, 2008 (12:25 AM)

T, hmm?

Does it count if the game starts with "The"? As in, for example, "The Bard's Tale?"

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: goldenvortex
Posted: October 14, 2008 (05:19 AM)

Oops. I totally missed this.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.