Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 1-7th May // The Four Star and Above Club

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 11, 2017 (06:20 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Notes: It’s well worth mentioning - as has become dangerously obligatory as of later - that reviews that did not make the cut were still ridiculously good. The main reason they got edged out in this week’s edition (made slightly late as the day I sat down to type all this nonsense up, the site was down) was because the three that placed dripped with enthusiasm. It’s an alien emotion to me, but it’s fun to read about when pulled off right. It was nailed this week.

Hasty was unlucky; he’s ditched his template and struck out into the rambling wilderness to good effect in a review I enjoyed. I played a lot of Awesomenauts back on its console release, so the PC shenanigans were interesting to read about, and written in a way that never became overbearing. The Masters Comeback Tour 2017 continues with a review of a saucy VN (that I’ll have the world know he personally requested) which is both humorous and startlingly honest about the source material. Jason just missed out mainly because his Tumbleseed review felt too apologetic for not enjoying a game he didn’t like (I played the game a little at your bequest, and I do get it, but, still!) and you also call it Tumblestone in your last paragraph - fire your copy editor! There’s nothing wrong with his Kamico review, but, compared to the love-ins submitted this week, it does feel like a piece just going through the motions. All worthy additions to the site - good job, all.

THIRD

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: May 11, 2017 (07:44 AM)

That entire surfboard sequence is wonderfully ridiculous. I think the fact that everything in the game is played incredibly straight and treated as legit threats, even the silly aspects, is what help make those moments better than they have any right being.

Thanks for the third placement; it was another good week, and as I said in another RotW topic, I don't envy you having to choose who gets what. Congrats to everyone putting in solid effort, OD for his placement, and to PK for the RotW.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 11, 2017 (08:00 AM)

Thanks for the placement! Wasn't sure how I'd do this week, as the reviews I read were really good. Not surprised Little Nightmares won. That review was good enough to make me look up info on the game (particularly a YouTube "watch the deaths" compilation. Not my preferred genre of game, but I loved the visuals. Properly grotesque, they were.

Now, FOR THE RECORD!!! I did get past the first level of Shinobi III. I just never played beyond it. Pick alluded to it in his response; that in the Sonic's Ultimate Sega Collection compilation, you only have to play 1 level to unlock an arcade game. While you have to play 3 levels of Alien Storm. I hated playing three full levels of that game. But I endured it just to unlock Alien Syndrome, which I played for a full two minutes.

In fact, now that I think of it, I bought that compilation, played a couple games to unlock others, messed with Sonic 1 for a bit and played through a couple dungeons of Phantasy Star 3 and then put it up. And, much like my two PS2 Mega Man/MMX compilations, whenever it's time to put a new game into that system, other stuff in my backlog always seems to take precedence. I NEED MORE FREE TIME!!!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 11, 2017 (10:35 AM)

If you see me make an obvious mistake like the TumbleStone one in the future, feel free to correct it. I'd rather not see that sort of error remain on the site. TumbleStone and TumbleSeed obviously have very different titles, and while I know they're quite different games, my brain always wants to toss in the former in those instances when I mean the latter. It's a miracle I didn't make the mistake more often.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 11, 2017 (10:53 AM)

THIS JUST IN! Site EiC demands staff edit away his errors to improve his chances of RotW success.

The thought crossed my mind, but I needed an excuse, no matter how flimsy, to nudge you out of the running.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 11, 2017 (11:45 AM)

Heh heh. I'm happy when I place in RotW, of course, but it's not my primary motivation for writing. I always like the site to put its best foot forward. So you're welcome to edit away such obvious errors, and note that you've done so when you tell me why I didn't make the top three. ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.