Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Kingdom Hearts review

This thread is in response to a review for Kingdom Hearts on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: October 12, 2008 (03:54 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Nice review. I felt like it was dependable, like I learned everything I needed about the game. Details like the frustration of trying to use healing items seemed like a good thing to include, since it's stuff like that -- not the big things like the story -- that have the player throwing down their controller and screaming, "cheap ass bloody game -- !!"

One thing I did wonder at though -- and this is probably because I never played KH -- is that I had heard that the series actually a blend of Disney and Squaresoft worlds. Your review didn't say anything about Cloud or Sephiroth or Aerith, so I was wondering if they are just there for the shameless cash-in or do they actually matter?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: October 12, 2008 (04:31 PM)

The Square characters play supporting roles, but they aren't exactly central to the story. Actually, the same could be said of 99% of the Disney characters too.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: October 12, 2008 (05:07 PM)

Thanks! Yeah; I feel like I should've at least mentioned the FF stuff more in the review... I wanted to, but really couldn't find room for it. But, yeah, they really don't play that important a role, especially not later on. Leon and Aerith (is it really Aerith? I thought it was Aeris) help Sora out in the beginning a bit, and Cid provides the gummi material and stuff... Cloud, Yuffie, and a few others are mainly just encountered in the Coliseum for event purposes.

And there's a boss called a Behemoth, kind of similar to the ones in FF but not really because it's a Heartless and its form is significantly different (at least from the Behemoths I've seen)

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: October 12, 2008 (05:14 PM)

I've heard Aerith is a more accurate translation; it seems to be the one that hardcore nerds have adopted, at least. Also, the word "Aeris" looks too much like "Aries," which makes some of FF7's dialogue ridiculously cheesy if you're not playing attention.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: October 12, 2008 (05:34 PM)

Ah. That would make sense.

On reflection, I did find a place to mention some FF characters. Or at least one of them since the rest aren't important. It's in the 6th paragraph, if you count the one liner as a paragraph. I hope the way I changed that around makes the review stronger not weaker... and that that paragraph isn't weaker than it was for it.

EDIT: I've also been told that Squall's name really isn't Leon in FFVIII at all, unless it is in some translation or another. So I stuck a joke in there.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: October 12, 2008 (07:45 PM)

Changed my mind again. Switched it back to the old paragraph... sort of added a minor adjective to something in the battle system to denote it FF-based. I want to elaborate on it, but can't find a way to do that without ruining flow or possibly weakening the structure of the review.

Anyway, the new paragraph is here if anyone wants to compare it to the old one:

The plot itself is moving (if cheesy and archetypal), but it’s not the only thing keeping the game together. After Sora awakens in an unknown world, he has a run-in with Squall Leon, who beats him soundly (unless you're really good) before eplaining some plot-related stuff that you won't remember and sending him on his way again. Some time later, Sora befriends both Donald and Goofy, who explain more about the Heartless and his “destiny”, after which the three of them start their journey, traveling to other worlds in an effort to seal keyholes while searching for lost friends.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.