Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week, Mar 13-19 - The March of the Reviews

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: March 24, 2017 (07:28 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Each week, alone in the pitiless expanses of the internet, a truly remarkable journey takes place. Reviews from far and wide abandon the security of their originating hard drives and make the long ~100 millisecond journey to be uploaded to HonestGamers' servers. In single file, they march against the scrutinizing eye of HG's moderators and subsequently endure the gale force winds of the readers' criticism. Nevertheless, they are resolute and indomitable, driven by the overpowering urge for exposure and publication.

This is the March of the Reviews.

Third place: Joe's Risen 3: Titan Lords review (PC)

Pirates and high fantasy? Outrageous! I knew nothing about this series going into this review, but I didn't need to. Joe expertly describes what this game's themes are, how it works, and where its faults and strengths lie. There are enough references to the previous titles to cater to those who are familiar with the series while remaining accessible to those who are brand new to it. Overall, I felt it that it was a very balanced and enjoyable read.

However, I did feel like it lost some steam partway. While the first three or four paragraphs felt focused and had great flow to them, I felt like the review eventually turned into list of gripes and praises. That's not inherently a bad thing; that can be a solid structure to fall back on, and sometimes it's unavoidable (I've written plenty of reviews that fall into this pattern, too) but this review just didn't have the same punch that the winners had. Under different circumstances it could have easily taken first place.

Also, the tiny gripes that I keep throwing around about technical issues must be catching up to everyone. I didn't find any problems on that front here. Great work overall!

Second place: Zachary Walton's NieR: Automata review (PS4)

Deciding between this review and Jason's Breath of the Wild review was a tough choice. Both are expertly written praise pieces that urge us to get off our ass and buy the product while providing us with a myriad of good reasons as to why we should. Some of the stuff that I said to Jason (below) in terms of tone applies to this review as well, but Jason's review simply felt a little more tightly written overall. It was a tight race this week, as it often is nowadays. C'est la vie.

However, this is still an excellent piece. Mr. Walton provides us with a thorough overview of what to expect from this game without spoiling too much. I felt like he told us everything we needed to know and nothing that we didn't. I appreciated that.

Overall, there isn't much to criticize here. There are virtually no technical problems. I could mention that the first paragraph, featuring a brief Story About Me™, was a bit of an awkward start, but it nevertheless provided some useful context about how this title surpassed Mr. Walton's high expectations despite the "life-changing" experience that he had with the previous title. Thus, that's somewhat forgivable. Good job!

First place: Jason's Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild review (Switch)

Adults tend to be very critical of things. Whether it's movies, music, video games... You name it, they're critical of it. Hell, criticism is what we're all engaged with here on the site. Children also know a bad game when they see it, but they are far easier to please, as their brains have far more fluid imaginations. In this sense, it's nice to see that Breath of the Wild has touched Jason in that profound way, the way that brings back all those fuzzy feelings of wonder and imagination that we got when we played video games as a kid. There's something special about that.

If there's any criticism to be had here, it's that his review feels like it may have been cut a little short. However, I also got the sense that he took great care to not spoil too much for us. In fact, he seemed to leave a wide open, tantalizing space in our minds to encourage us to go and discover the game for ourselves, which I deeply appreciated.

Also, if a guy like him - who has likely seen it all, video game-wise - is heaping this level of praise, that gives me pause. It makes me want to get my hands on this game as soon as possible. Alas, I do not own a console, but it is almost enough to make me want to change that fact. He has applied some persuasive tone here with good effect.

Beyond that, this review is basically flawless on a technical level. He hit the nail the most squarely on the head this week, and that makes him the clear winner. If he felt so inclined, he could go and raid his own stash of prizes. Nobody would stop him. Nor should they.

That's it for me. Tune in next week to see another exhausted judge pore through 10+ reviews and make arbitrary decisions about which is best.

Honourable mentions for the week: Emp's excellent Loot Rascals review, Zydrate's exhaustive retrospective on the Mass Effect Trilogy, and Jerec's competent analysis of Doctor Who: Legacy. Great stuff all around.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 25, 2017 (01:26 AM)

Thanks to EmP and his tireless promotion of the site through social media, I won an even better prize this week. My review got the attention of the game's developers. It's gotten over 1000 hits (and my reviews usually take 3-4 years to achieve those sorts of numbers).

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 25, 2017 (03:27 AM)

It was nice to win this week, for only the fourth time since RotW was revived. Competition truly has been fierce, and I'm glad to chalk up another win by writing for a game that I enjoyed as much as I did Breath of the Wild. I wasn't sure how the review would come across, but it sounds like the stuff that I hoped it would do is also the stuff it actually did.

Congratulations also to the many others who submitted something this week. I look forward to seeing what you all manage in weeks to come!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: March 25, 2017 (10:23 AM)

Nice, Jerec. It's always cool when that happens. It can be a bit of a double-edged sword, though. Only one of my Steam reviews ever hit numbers like that, and it was also the review that accumulated the most negative comments and hate. But I suppose that's just the internet for ya...

placid like acid

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 25, 2017 (12:37 PM)

Thank you for the placement and congrats to Jason for the big win!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.