Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild review

This thread is in response to a review for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: RubberDuck
Posted: March 14, 2017 (05:53 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Can i ask, how many shrines you've completed ? I've completed 64 shrines, upgraded the bomb and statsis runes, and unlocked the ancient armor and weapons and yet haven't got around freeing any of the Divine Beasts. do you think 64 shrines would be enough to defeat the final boss or should i add more ? Thanks in advance.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 14, 2017 (06:36 PM)

I had cleared right around 60 shrines at the point when I "beat" the game, and had spent souls on 5 stamina upgrades before devoting the rest to heart containers. I was equipped with the fully upgraded stealth armor. For your own run, I would say just bring along a lot of healing items (I had around 5 meat skewers that restored max life), and be good at using your full range of combat skills (including skillful use of your shield). You'll likely be able to scrape by, in that case. And of course, you want to have freed the Divine Beasts, as well. Good luck!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: bwv_639
Posted: March 18, 2017 (08:25 AM)

Puzzle-wise and progression-wise, is this appreciably less simple than Skyward Sword and more like Twilight Princess and the other earlier ones?

Skyward Sword made me vow I'd never go back to the series.

https://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/loneliness

board icon
Posted: March 18, 2017 (08:30 AM)

I didn't complete Skyward Sword, because it never quite captured my interest and I finally gave up probably a quarter of the way through (though I haven't entirely ruled out returning to it at some point). Twilight Princess never really got me going, either. Therefore, I can't address your questions as fully as you might like. However, I can say that progression-wise, the games are worlds apart. Breath of the Wild reminds me a lot of the early Zelda titles, most notably the first game and A Link to the Past, and is also one of the most challenging entries in the series.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: March 18, 2017 (06:50 PM)

Breath of the Wild is basically the best game Nintendo has made in decades. It's hard to put into words what makes the game so magical. I think the big thing and I've certainly noticed it more after subsequently playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn and starting NieR: Automata is the huge degree of freedom you have in BotW. Namely you can pretty much go anywhere you want with very few boundaries keeping you out. Namely you can climb mountains and avoid extremely tough enemies (like Guardians). There aren't many invisible walls if any. The game's progression is more about finding the tools to succeed - better gear, materials, shrines, the Divine Beasts. The dungeon puzzles are on the simple side. The combat is pretty difficult in the beginning (like Zelda 1 & 2 hard), but you can become really overpowered by the end (especially if you get your armor set of choice to level 4).

_

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 19, 2017 (03:05 AM)

I liked Twilight Princess enough to finish it, but I never got far with Skyward Sword. The forced motion control was just too tiring.

Loving Breath of the World. It's definitely something special, and a standout of the series. I've been playing the Wii U version - have about a thousand words of preliminary notes written for a review. Unfortunately I got sent off on a work trip for 2 weeks and couldn't take it with me, so I'm going to be behind on finishing it.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: KennedyEthan
Posted: March 20, 2017 (05:53 PM)

Hi!! im Kennedy Ethan Smith. Actually im First time here and i saw The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, sounds good and since i read about that game im interested now!! the series was nice and One day I'll have to properly play through this series and see what it's all about.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: raandi
Posted: September 12, 2017 (11:06 PM)

This was easily the biggest disappointment of the year and I honestly, truly cannot understand what any of you see in it.

board icon
Posted: September 13, 2017 (09:30 AM)

Luckily, I explained some of what I saw in the game in my review. For the record, it's my current pick for game of the decade, and now ranks as one of my favorite games of all time. I've played a lot more of it since I reviewed it, and there's barely a day that passes when I wouldn't be up for playing more of it. Just living within the world Nintendo has created, even without doing anything of import, feels too good to resist.

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: April 05, 2018 (11:16 PM)

Having reviewed it, I'm not sure what I could have said that you didn't cover quite precisely. I'm glad I came at it "my way", though I do understand your point of view for Game of the Week.

As for Breath of the Wild, in a way there was nothing new about it, just a really, really fresh take on the game that started it all. It's how you go about the quest and the mechanics thereof that are distinctive. At first I was convinced I wouldn't have the time... but now I see time wasn't the question. It was really, "why not?"

I am satisfied that this is better than the NES Legend of Zelda, a game I barely understood and enjoyed even less. It was fun, but it didn't click. BotW on the other hand, again... my favorite pick for the year. Easily.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.