Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | AND | IOS | PC | PS4 | NS | VITA | WIIU | XB1 | All

Forums > Announcements & Site Feedback > Discord for contibutors/staff?

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: March 11, 2017 (08:23 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Being a long standing fan of forums, I've had the nagging idea of proposing a Discord server for Honestgamers. Is it out of the ballpark to encourage more lively and responsive discussion?

Perhaps it would strengthen the group for us to get to know each other better on a more casual basis. I've taken part in a few Discord servers, and keep a connection to two at the moment, and they're useful to get information across quickly to others associated with the team.

We can limit access to Staff and Contributors only, and while I'm suggesting it, I would be willing to host and maintain it. Ideally it would have several Admins and Mods so that no one would have to dedicate more than their own free time to it.

It's easy, it's free, and I am pretty darn sure it'd be worth a try. Please reply with your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

The word you're looking for is "sensible".

board icon
Author: Zydrate
Posted: March 11, 2017 (02:57 PM)

As an old-school forum-goer, I feel they've become a bit obsolete in recent years. Especially in the golden age of Skype, which has lately been dethroned by Discord. I wouldn't mind helping mod a Discord, however I do mod two others so my attentions might be split at any given moment (Moreso when I manage to actually get employed).

My Tumblr (Don't worry, I just talk about games)
My Steam Profile

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 12, 2017 (03:41 AM)

I wouldn't mind. I have an easier time writing than talking, but I'm willing to give this a try.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: March 12, 2017 (07:41 PM)

I've set up a test server: https://discord.gg/JdvWB6b It's a permalink. Also, bots are interesting... looking into something that may be useful...

~~~

Two votes! That's enough for my enthusiasm, but what does Jason think of it? Mr. Venter, paging Mr. Venter! That's enough exclamations for one post...

By the look of things, Discord is pretty standard stuff, configuration-wise:
https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/213530048-Advanced-Community-Server-Setup

I've been administrating stuff since before IRC was a thing, so ... yeah. Can do, and I'm happy to be the lead-in here. I'm a little hesitant to be the host, but I'll look into that in more detail.

One of the beauties of Discord is integrated voice chat. Amazing the things we can do with modern tech, right? While I'm on the topic, Discord can be integrated into a website, so ... if we like how it runs we can tie it into HonestGamers.com proper.

An important note is that we can use bots to link articles, events and other activities we're participating in. We can isolate #self_promotion, for instance, to allow sharing of our personal endeavors without clogging up other channels.

I suspect this will be largely oriented around staff and contributors to start with, but encouraging more active conversation is really the point. I'll list a breakdown of channels that come to mind, and please, make suggestions for anything I miss:

Channel List
#Welcome
- For user sorting, introductions and announcements
#HGReviews - Topical discussion, banter (when possible)
#ReviewCrafthall - Placeholder title, suggestions welcome. For Contributors and Staff only. Requirement: A review posted on HG
#Self_Promotion - Non-HG related personal projects and hobbies
#Downtime - This could be anything, basically an "off-topic" section, also open to suggestions for topic
#Music - Links to tunes we might want to share
#RealLife - We don't talk much about our personal lives because it just doesn't fit well with the business atmosphere of HG, but why avoid it?
#General_Chat - For everything that doesn't fit in the above categories
#AFK - Optional: May be assumed, but it doesn't hurt to let the team know if you're not going to be available for an extended period of time
#Feedback - We will need a place to take input about how the server and site are running, suggestions for improvement, bug reports and so forth. Discord is at present rock solid, but some of its plugins are not.

Rules and Guidelines
There are hard rules that have kept HG a positive environment, and ... that's staying polite and positive, for one. Since access to Discord can be had by anyone who can write well enough to be published, expletives would be no go. Also, no politics. Discord's private message system enables anyone who wants to get political to chat privately.

Important Note
Some functions of the forum can be replaced by Discord, such as Game Addition requests, but overall Discord is not initially intended as a replacement. It may become one, though - as stale conversations weigh down any team. If we didn't remember it, chances are it wasn't worth remembering.

I'd like to prioritize site announcements and events as well, and from what I've seen of other servers, that's pretty easy to do. I don't know if posts can be streamed directly from existing Content Management Systems. What do you think, Jason?

Ponder Webhooks: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/228383668-Intro-to-Webhooks

Another purpose of this is to reduce the workload of any one individual, and spread it out among willing and able team members.

Well, that's all that comes to mind for now. Thoughts?

P.S. Geek moment: Custom emojis! Fun! :D

board icon
Author: honestgamer (Mod)
Posted: March 13, 2017 (02:16 AM)

The forums serve an important (and well integrated) purpose around the site, and they're certainly not something I'm interested in replacing as long as people are happy to use them. I like their potential permanence, as well. Feedback topics, site contests, Review of the Week topics and so forth still work best in a forum environment, I believe.

I'd never heard of Discord until you mentioned it (or if I had, then at least not in a way that stuck in my mind), but I'm not opposed to an HonestGamers presence that takes advantage of that service if enough people find it useful or interesting. I just don't currently have time to participate myself, given everything else I have on my plate.

The time I can devote to such a venture may change if it picks up momentum over time. I'm happy to support external projects once they build momentum, and to explore options for fuller integration on the proper site as warranted. But to be frank, I don't have the mental energy right now to take on a significant role in actively working to launch another such project.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world

board icon
Posted: March 13, 2017 (04:16 AM)

That's fair, and to be expected. I've started up a test server (link in my previous post), but I'm still learning it. So far I've got a couple of bots in, one for housekeeping and another for Steam tracking. They're not configured to do anything special right now, they're just there.

I'll keep this thread updated as the server matures. In the mean time, I'll keep developing the server as time allows. Please feel free to join up. Right now it's called "HG Test", until I'm comfortable that it can represent the community properly.

At the moment the server requires a Discord account for access, which will cut down on spam, which apparently a problem on some servers.

As I like to say, "Do what you can and don't sweat the rest".

board icon
Author: Dinoracha
Posted: March 13, 2017 (05:22 PM)

I'd say a Discord server would be good as a general use thing, not only for communication and exchange of info but a hub if users want to connect with one another for online gaming. The forums would be the bulk of the discussions while Discord can be for idle banter. Could drum up good relations between users.

This is where the witty thing should be. I seem to have lost the witty thing. I'll get back to you on it.

board icon
Posted: March 13, 2017 (07:43 PM)

That'd be the gist of it. :) Thanks for joining, by the way.

board icon
Author: Zydrate
Posted: March 14, 2017 (03:31 PM)

So I'm there but I can't see, chat, or do anything.

My Tumblr (Don't worry, I just talk about games)
My Steam Profile

This message was deleted at the request of holdthephone, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: holdthephone
Posted: March 15, 2017 (12:31 AM)

great idea, i'll see you all on later.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Posted: March 17, 2017 (06:58 PM)

Lookin' forward to seeing you there!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 17, 2017 (09:06 PM)

Discord isn't actually a wholly awful platform. Who knew?

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: March 20, 2017 (05:04 AM)

There are things it does well - or I'd not be recommending it. I'm not about to sully myself for its sake. ;)

Policies/Ethics | Contact | Advertise | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2017 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.