Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Double Dragon IV review

This thread is in response to a review for Double Dragon IV on the PlayStation 4. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: February 01, 2017 (07:54 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Drat! Now I have to write a review! I'm trying really, really hard not to read this, simply because I want to make comparisons when I finish mine. xD

I'll be right back... in maybe a few days... -ish.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 02, 2017 (04:38 AM)

...are blander than a microwave noodle dish without the seasoning packet

At this point, you're just doing it on purpose!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 02, 2017 (02:01 PM)

What are you talking about? Is there supposed to be something wrong with the review sample you included in your post? All I see is a terrific culinary reference!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: February 04, 2017 (07:47 PM)

I watched a bit of footage for this game, and here's what I don't get. This game is canonically supposed to take place after Double Dragon 2, yet Marian is still alive? Say what? Didn't she get shot to death in the opening sequence of Double Dragon 2?

Does this mean they made a crappy game and broke what little lore the franchise has?

placid like acid

board icon
Posted: February 04, 2017 (08:35 PM)

In the NES version of 2, she comes back to life if you complete the game on hard. Though, as far as I know, she stays dead in the original arcade version.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: February 04, 2017 (11:03 PM)

Finally read your review!

Interesting that you found the platforming segments a bit difficult. Maybe it's because I thought the ones in the first DD were absolutely terrible (that damn cave sequence was aggravating), that I thought the ones in DDIV were absurdly easy and boring. Regardless, I was never a fan of the platforming segments in any of the NES DDs.

I do agree about the far off backgrounds looking ugly; sometimes it looked like someone took a real photograph and added an "8-bit" filter to them.

But yeah, very, very tedious game. It actually makes me want to break out my NES and play Double Dragon 1 to forget about this... thing.

Hell, Double Dragon IV actually encouraged me to finally purchase Neon. I think that's the only compliment I actually gave to IV.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: February 10, 2017 (09:16 PM)

Just played Double Dragon 4 myself, and there's a strong chance that I'll never play it again. Based on certain segments (like the awkward early ride on the raft across water) it really seems like the game wasn't finished. And what's there isn't good, not at all.

Double Dragon Neon was great.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 11, 2017 (12:21 AM)

I purchased Double Dragon Neon a few years ago, when it was on sale on the PlayStation store. I just haven't gotten around to playing it. And yet I found time to play and review Double Dragon IV. Clearly, I am a complicated individual.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 11, 2017 (08:28 AM)

It's unlikely I'll ever play Double Dragon 4 after the slating it's received. But I've played the hell out of Neon, and it was glorious. I might have even reviewed it. EDIT: Yes, turns out I have.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.