Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Brian's Darkest Dungeon review

This thread is in response to a review for Darkest Dungeon on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: January 29, 2017 (12:33 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I said just about everything I want to say about this game in my own review of it, but there are a few things I'd like to comment on:

Firstly, the Death's Door mechanic does not always provide a mitigation against death. It's good that it's there; the game would be insufferable without it. But sometimes RNG can still squash a character and there just isn't anything you can do about it.

For example. Let's say your team gets surprised by a Giant and a couple of trash mobs while wandering around in the Weald. The Giant crits your Grave Robber with Treebranch Smackdown and she goes from full health to zero. The first trash mob then takes its next turn and targets her. Even if she manages to survive a single Death's door check, the second trash mob might also target her or hit her with an AOE, and she's not likely to survive it a second time. In the first round of combat, one of your characters can potentially be dead before you even get to take a turn. And that example is from the perspective of an elite team that keeps its health high, its stress low, and its torchlight at full at all times. Things are far worse if you're even a little bit bad at the game; the RNG just eats you for lunch.

I really wouldn't have a problem with this except for the fact that this game likes to waste my time whenever something goes wrong. If I lose a lvl 6 character, who is of a class that I will need to make my end-game strategy work, it can take anywhere from 5-10 hours of play to build a new one back up, even if I hire them as a lvl 3. The fact that there's no fail-state to this game is hardly a comfort in this regard.

And some of the developers' efforts to make the players' lives more difficult and force them to play the game the way they "intended it to be played" simply don't make sense. They made it clear that they don't want the players to stall the enemies so they can heal their heroes up to full in battle. Fine. But then they put limits on carryable food to ensure that you can't fully heal yourself out of battle, either. It's like they're talking out of both sides of their mouth...

Don't get me wrong, I like Darkest Dungeon, but it has some serious problems.

placid like acid

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.