Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 16th-22nd January // The (in theory only) snowed-in edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2017 (09:23 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Including a carry over from Rob “Rob” Robington, as he will be known from henceforth, this week has a rather noteworthy ten entries of distinguished quality. Of all kind of crazy nonsense - handheld visual novels, indie horror games, forgotten arcade cabinets, awful NES imports and big-name PC reboots. There’s going to be reviews missing out on the top three slot this week that would have strolled into previous editions of this here recap that I’ve penned - suck it up, lads and ladettes. It’s the price you pay for heavy competition. So, the three marked below must be doing something right - or bribing me the most - to get their little slice of glory.

NOTES:

I had such a hard time settling on the final three that Nightfire’s Wasteland 2 cycled in and out several times. So much so that I even wrote a feedback topic which I shall recycle shortly and post as standalone feedback. Most other weeks, both his and silversuriv’s reviews would have been a certainty to place, and place well.

THIRD

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 23, 2017 (11:07 AM)

Thanks EmP. What's a Naruto?

I know... those paragraphs weren't in my first draft. I had all this flow going and I had nowhere to put this stuff, but it needed saying. Not sure how to integrate it more naturally, either.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2017 (12:20 PM)

Thanks, EmP! And to clarify, I don't think of Sakura as obscure, just not A-list. She originated from a side game, then showed up in another couple of side games. On top of that, she's nothing amazing because she's still a pupil. None of that says A-list to me.

As for the tag mechanic, not precisely. You can select multiple characters, but you cannot tag out. Basically, you start with four character points, with characters being ranked on one of four tiers (IIRC, the fourth tier fighters are locked in the arcade version). So you can go with either four bottom tier fighters, two second tier, etc. The best combo I found was Ryu and Terry, who were both second tier. I also did just as well with Sagat and Vice.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: January 23, 2017 (01:27 PM)

Gratz to the placers. I ain't even mad. Lots of great reviews showing up lately. Jerec's infusion of quality submissions lately has certainly adjusted the delicate balance of power around here.

placid like acid

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2017 (01:45 PM)

Thanks, EmP! Sadly, there won't be much misery in my next few reviews, as they'll be for quality games like Avernum: Escape From The Pit, Mass Effect, Twilight Princess and Super Meat Boy.

Oh, yeah, and a Kemco game thrown into the mix. But those are usually less misery-inducing and more "how am I going to write this without ripping off six of my other Kemco reviews" puzzling.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: silversuriv
Posted: January 23, 2017 (01:54 PM)

It was nice getting back into some quality reading after a much needed vacation. Hope this week will be just as packed as last. Congratz to the placers too. I might have to switch my style up a bit to appease you folks. We'll see.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page. - I choose to keep this here...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 23, 2017 (03:12 PM)

Looks like there are already three reviews in the running for the next RotW topic, so let's hope that continues and we have another great week of quality submissions. I always enjoy weeks like that.

Congrats on putting together a delightful topic in such a timely manner, EmP, and congrats especially to those who managed top-three placements in a ridiculously tough week!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 29, 2017 (08:21 AM)

Man, this week is stacked. Maybe even more so than last week. Even Fiddlesticks has come back out of the woodwork to make it difficult -- best of luck, Nightfire!

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.