Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Nightfire's Wasteland 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Wasteland 2 on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Zydrate
Posted: January 21, 2017 (07:56 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This one actually chased me away for being too hard or confusing. I should give it a try at some point.

My Tumblr (Don't worry, I just talk about games)
My Steam Profile

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: January 21, 2017 (10:35 AM)

It's not as confusing as it seems. Once you get your characters made it's pretty straightforward. You should definitely give it a shot!

placid like acid

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 23, 2017 (09:23 AM)

I really had to reach to find a reason this didn’t quite make the top three, and it feels petty listed on it’s own, but I felt this review suffered from quite a bit of word repetition. Specifically, the word ‘Rangers’ pops up an uncomfortably high amount. On the other hand, what with that being the name of the group you control throughout the entire game and therefore the thing you’re going to be speaking about the most, it’s going to be quite a tricky job to find a suitable substitute. I think it feels a little more stunted than your usual writing, too. Whereas, for example, your last review on Duke Nukem Forever (why, I ask you? Why?) was a very personable piece, this Wasteland 2 one sometimes felt it was written under a sense of obligation rather than because you felt you had something you wanted to say.

I’m spitting negativity only because I had to really look for reasons why I couldn’t include what’s really a very fine review. Wasteland 2’s one of those games that I figure I’ll get around to some day. There’s hundreds of them. But you’ve probably bumped it up the list a few dozen spots just by dropping an XCOM comparison.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: January 23, 2017 (01:19 PM)

Dernit.

That's okay though. If this review feels rushed/mechanical in its delivery, that's probably because it is. I'm actually in the process of hacking through all of the titles in my Steam library that I haven't finished but are lingering on my hard drive so I can finally delete them and make room for other things. I wanted to bang out this review while it was still fresh in my mind.

Some weeks I just won't make the cut. That's life.

As for my Duke Nukem Forever review, it's funny that you ask "why". I basically covered that in the first paragraph. However, what's funny about it is the fact that I wrote that entire review from memory. I did not, in fact, re-install it and play through it again (hence the lack of screenshots). Some games just leave an impression on you. Kinda like how a smelly fart from an unwanted houseguest lingers in the room, seemingly "forever".

placid like acid

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.