Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Nov. 28 to Dec. 4, 2016: Sinus infection (or maybe it's my ear) edition

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: December 09, 2016 (12:56 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This will be a pretty brief one (as well as late). Been dealing with a sinus infection or something like that. Nothing serious, but things like that do have a negative affect on my ability to concentrate on things like "reading" and "writing", so spending a lot of time doing either isn't really what I wanted on my agenda. But, hey, it's my week, it's Friday and, uh, well, I better get to this before I get roundly mocked for my lateness. Again.

This time, there were a good number of reviews. Six this week, plus Nightfire's holdover from last week. In other words, a lot of reading. Why couldn't my last one with four reviews be this time, damnit?!?!?

THIRD PLACE

Lucas' Mother Russia Bleeds (PC)

The strength of this review lies in the descriptions. In short, this is a beat-em-up with more graphic violence, but with a bit less enjoyable playability due to things such as being able to pick up guns with too much ammo and bosses that are more button-mashers than strategic. However, the way you described things make it seem intriguing. The way the violence serves as a life meter, with enemies looking more damaged as you pound on them, is a neat touch. The paragraph talking about how GOOD it feels to beat the living hell out of foes was really nice. And the part where you describe the levels, up to where you mention one is NSFW, was also a good read.

---

SECOND PLACE

justjess' The Banner Saga (PlayStation 4)

Another review aided with strong descriptions. Unlike Mother Russia Bleeds, I know a decent bit about this game from reading other people talking about it. Still, someone without any such knowledge would find this a good review to start with, as you give a strong description of how the game works, how decisions you make can have lasting repercussions and a few things (such as no terrain adjustments in battle) that could be better. Just a strong, fundamental review with a really nice finish where you give strong praise by mentioning how this game actually has inspired you to tell people (or A person) and write about it.

---

REVIEW OF THE WEEK (aka: Overdrive Place)

EmP's Yomawari: Night Alone (PC)

This was simply some really good writing. I liked other reviews I read this week (some, a lot), but this was head-and-shoulders above the pack. It just seems you did a great job of getting to the heart of things: a game using the sort of young, defenseless protagonist that a gamer would want to protect and then placing her in a scary world where all sorts of things want to kill her. No legit offensive capability leading to utilizing stealth, trickery and the occasional bits of hiding somewhere and hoping the big, bad boogeyman leaves. Once again, good descriptions abound, particularly at the end, when you're describing some of the creepy stuff you might encounter while walking these streets.

---

So, that's that for another week. Time to hunt down the Benedryl, since I don't have anything stronger and more illegal at my immediate disposal. Damn it.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: December 09, 2016 (10:08 PM)

Feel better, Overdrive. My wife and I are fighting a pretty nasty cold on our end, as well. It has kept me miserable for pretty much the whole weak, the last thing we need this time of year (or any time of year) on top of other life events.

Anyway, thanks as always for putting out a good topic, and congratulations to those who participated and especially to those who placed. I really did enjoy the winning review in particular, even if it made me wonder what I was thinking ordering what sounds like such an effective horror game. I'm a coward!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: December 09, 2016 (10:55 PM)

Gratz to the winners, it was a good batch of reviews all around.

I sympathize with your illness; it certainly is the season for it. I, myself, have been dealing with a vague viral thing that has been cramping my style for almost two weeks now. Hope you feel better!

placid like acid

board icon
Author: Dinoracha
Posted: December 10, 2016 (08:38 AM)

In retrospect, the WHOLE game is horrifically NSFW, just the club level I was referring to is something that hits new ground in terms of things in video games I never want to see ever again.
Large men should stay away from spandex. That's all I'll say on the matter.

This is where the witty thing should be. I seem to have lost the witty thing. I'll get back to you on it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 14, 2016 (10:00 AM)

I'm crazy late this this one. Whole lot of stuff going on. Important stuff. Going on. Right here. Nothing significantly more mundane; no sir. Stuff. Of importance.

Thanks for the win; it wads a good week filled with good reviews, so it's a decent (and well needed) boost to top this week - I appreciate it. Props to Dino for continuing a good streak and to Jess for coming out of nowhere to review one of my favourite games.

Jason: If you do nothing else, play the first half hour. The opening few minutes at the very least contains a stand out moment which will let you know if the game's for you. It's less outright horrific as it is constantly creepy, and the metriodvania-ish exploration might surprise you and sit well. Beside, you'll need to play one of these games some day to keep your diminishing cred up.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.