Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW // 14 - 20th November

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 22, 2016 (08:33 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The post-horror drought continues this week with no user reviews and six staff efforts. Except I wrote two of them. So four staff reviews? It means I can knock off early, I suppose. Go do that socializing thing people are always raving about, or finish that youtube thing I’m already bored of. Anyway…

Please find below, in order of acceptableness, the top three reviews submitted this week by you, the submitters and not you, the lackadaisical gawkers.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 [3DS] Eric Kelly

The review feels choppy in places, and a little on the stifled end. It’s informative, which is always a plus when trying to educate the blank-eyed masses on something, but it ends up feeling like a list of things jammed together rather than a cohesive review on the game as a whole. It also seemed mostly geared to returning players of the series, which meant (seeing as I do not belong to that demographic) I did come away with some questions. Some of these were answered simply by stop being such an inquisitive pain and by reading onwards, so props there on anticipating that.

I continue to be miffed at how hard some companies seem to work to botch localisations. It’s not even just in games; why these glorified translators think they’re in a better position to tell someone else’ story than the original author continues to baffle me.

World of Final Fantasy [PS4] Zachary Walton

I admit; at the time this review was posted, I paid it very little attention. Mainly because (and in keeping with how little attention I paid it) I assumed it was going to be a review on another one of those mobile games the series is regularly kicking out these days (damn kids, get off my lawn, etc). More fool me.This is an intriguing sounding game well reviewed with someone with an admitted attachment to the series.

It does hit list territory by the end, and I still come away confused with how the stacking aspect to the battle system works, but I think you get the main focus right. Talking about how it’s a quirky and sometimes silly celebration of the last couple of decades and how it’s not afraid to go obscure now and then to appeal to the die hards was the right information to convey.I’m glad the game’s been brought to my attention.

BlazBlue: Central Fiction [PS4] Rhody Tobin

The two reviews you submitted this week were polar opposites to each other. I didn’t much like your Gurumin effort because it was obvious you didn’t much want to write it, so slapped down some quick thoughts and got out of the assignment as quick as you were able to. On the other hand, I really liked the Blazblue review because it was, if anything, over-long because there was so much you wanted to say about it. Maybe even a little too much when talking about, say, the newer cast members, but it came across with such a sense of knowledge and endearment this game obvious holds for you. This in itself could have been a cunning trap by writing the review like the reader has the same experience as you do, but I come away with most things mostly clear in my head.

I’ve not played a lot of BlazBlue (Guilty Gear for lyfe, yo) but I come away from this review confident I know what I can expect. That’s a strong argument to top RotW.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.