Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week June 18 - 24: Because I know how long a week is

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 26, 2016 (05:46 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Geez, a lot of good reviews this week, with a real war for the top three. Though they didn't place, I recommend reading OD's Fanatic Earth review (which may have just convinced me to download the game) and Briddle's Metro: Last Light, which may have also done the same (never mind that I still haven't gone through Metro 2033 yet... Yeah, I'm slackin'). Anyway:

THIRD PLACE
EmP's Supreme Warrior (32X)

It has a long introduction, but an effective one. It's a pretty good general statement regarding FMV games and why they went the way of the dodo. However, my favorite parts about this review are the zingers found throughout it.

“Hey, I’m really looking forward to that next Digital Pictures game; Tom Zito is saving video games with his celebrated visions” said exactly no one ever.

and

Armed with the inspiring power of causing second-hand nausea, your warrior is, of course, the only man capable of saving the world from that one evil guy by beating up twelve successive other guys. Then, boom. World’s saved. Or something.

I can only imagine what you would have to say about Fahrenheit. Anyway, this is a good, fun review that gives an awful FMV-based fighting game the thrashing we all know it deserves.

SECOND PLACE
Phazonmasher's Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (PS4)

You know what I hate about modern gaming? Seeing a "new" title released for a franchise and not knowing if it's a sequel, a full fledged expansion, a port or an enhanced edition. You've done this world a service by not only coming out and telling us what this game is, but also detailing whether or not it's worthwhile for players who've already experienced Fairy Fencer F. You also did a good job describing the game for those who haven't played yet, accomplishing both feats in a timely and fluid manner. You've done gamers a terrific service, and I thank you for that.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
honestgamer's Mega Man 6 (NES)

I'm not a fan of Mega Man 6, but I don't hate it. Apparently, the same goes for you, and you've done a wonderful job describing why this game is a wash. You support your claims with excellent examples and even bring up the game's unbalanced item system. Best of all, the game is full of "could've done more" moments, and you listed each of them. At the same time, you remind us that Mega Man 6 isn't terrible and is worth playing for fans of the franchise. What stands out most for me is this line:

"I don't want to give the impression that Mega Man 6 is a poor game. What it managed to be instead, despite admirable efforts to improve the formula, is decent. That just doesn't feel good enough for the final installment that the treasured series would see on the platform that birthed it."

Nail. Head. Hit.

---

That's all for ROTW. Go away.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 26, 2016 (10:00 PM)

Yay, I finally won RotW again, for the first time since several of you were kind enough to bring it back from the grave! Thanks for bringing it back, and for awarding my review the win on a week that (I thought) turned out to have quite a few strong contributions. And of course, congrats to all who participated!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: July 27, 2016 (11:17 AM)

Grats, Jason! Lots of good reviews yet again.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 28, 2016 (04:59 AM)

Congrats, Jason, on finally getting the win on what turned out to be a solid week. Well done. Joe for working through it.

Thanks for the mention. It's good to know the pain was somewhat worth it.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.