Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week: June 27 through July 3

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 06, 2016 (02:39 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't have any sort of snazzy intro to bring you. Sorry. I'm pretty exhausted right now, as I've been running myself pretty much into the ground and operating off either little sleep or no good sleep (I crashed on my recliner last night, with the leg rest down. I woke up in an odd slump with my legs aching). Did I mention that children are taxing?

THIRD PLACE

Nightfire's Resette's Prescription ~Book of memory, Swaying scale~ (PC)

This one doesn't flow as well as some of your other reviews, but it is very informative and supported by excellent examples. Also, the game sounds downright grating. You did a great job painting this as a horrible game without resorting to heavy, mindless bashing. I'm also glad you addressed the nonsensical aspects of the game. I haven't played the game, but hearing about that definitely puts me off.

SECOND PLACE

EmP's Tick's Tales: Up All Knight (PC)

You had three qualifying reviews this week--yes, I actually checked this time--and I felt this was your best offering. It's a quick, delightful read that makes good use of a Monopoly metaphor. I've been searching for a good way to dig at poor presentation under the veneer of "throwback." Anyway, I like that you review this game without comparing it overmuch to the games from which it draws inspiration and for providing great examples without spoiling anything.

One thing:

Even so, it offers a handful of hours of goofy fantasy-based brain teasing that serve as a welcome pallet cleanser...

I think you mean 'palate cleanser,' unless you're talking about something that cleans wooden shipping platforms.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK

Pickhut's Mighty No. 9 (PS4)

Man, you've been cleaning house with your reviews lately. I like this one because it goes against accepted 'good review' policy of propping it up against another game. You unabashedly compare Mighty to Mega Man, but provide an excellent reason why. You also make it clear that even if it weren't a spiritual successor to MM, it still wouldn't be a good game. Your points are well supported, albeit sometimes a little cluttered. However, when you're talking about a failure of this magnitude, you sometimes need to bring up as many little nuances as you can in a short amount of time, and you addressed a good portion of them. I initially planned to throw my name into the hat to review this game either here or for RoG, only to discover that someone else had been selected at both places. Your review put me at ease and made me realize I dodged a bullet.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: July 06, 2016 (04:09 AM)

Thanks! I agree with you that the review feels cluttered in places, though I'm glad to hear you still managed to get a good, enjoyable read. I personally found it really impossible not to make comparisons, since its very existence is riding on the coattails of a 29 year old brand.

Congrats, Nightfire, EmP. Good showing!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: July 06, 2016 (08:36 AM)

Grats to the winners! Lots of good competition this week. :)

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 06, 2016 (08:56 AM)

Sorry, EmP. My notes on my computer show that I fixed the "palate cleanser" error in your original draft (as I spotted it also), but I see in the notes I posted to the site that I didn't actually do so. That's my fault. Anyway, I've updated it now.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 06, 2016 (09:21 AM)

No biggie. I shouldn't be missing errors like that anyway.

Congrats to pick - who is killing the new RotW rota, and props to Nightfire. Grovelling apologies to Joe, who I nagged under the false pretense that we were a week further on than we are. I've somehow invented a week and I don;t know how.

Thanks for the mention.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.