Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week May 16 - 22

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 26, 2016 (01:20 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I've been hopelessly addicted to Salt and Sanctuary and loving the new Doom. EmP had to prod me into action, which wasn't an easy task. Anyway, there are two things worth noting for this week's offerings:

1) Since EmP's Doom 32X review landed during his ROTW week, it's now entered as a contestant for this week's ROTW.

2) I have a Kraven Manor review that dropped on May 16 that, like EmP's Doom, will be shuffled into the Overdrive's ROTW next week.

Now, let's get this thing started, shall we?

THIRD PLACE

holdthephone's Dark Souls (PS3)

This is not your standard list of "this is good and here's why." It's subtle about bringing up the game's strengths and weaknesses whilst segueing into choice examples. It's a very well written, somewhat blog-like (in a good way) dissection of Dark Souls that's neither too casual nor overly professional. I will admit, there were a couple of segments that dragged for me, but it's an otherwise great read.

SECOND PLACE

EmP's Doom (32X)

Project 32X is still kickin'. I like that this piece opens with a history lesson. You claim it's boring and technical, but I was glued to some of those sentences. It's impressive to see you've done your homework--or perhaps knew these facts all along--and brought that to the review. My only complaint is that I think you ranted about the abysmal SNES version for too long, though I won't fault you for that. The SNES version would be comparable to The Asylum shooting a scene-for-scene remake of Jurassic World. From there, you rightly dig into the 32X Doom, with an armful of gripes that greatly support the one star this port deserves.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK

Suskie's Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)

I always have a hard time writing good intros to reviews. Yours always impress me, and this one is no exception. It engaged me, got me into the review, and the next thing I know I'm digging through my tote of unfinished games so I can finally give Uncharted 2 a fair shake. It lists all of the right info without being too workmanlike, and the review doesn't waste time or prattle. Great work!

---

ROTW is over. Tune in next week!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 26, 2016 (05:23 PM)

Congratulations to all who placed, and to Suskie in particular for the win. It was an especially strong review, I felt, and made me anxious to play the game myself. Like you, Joe, I need to go back to the older ones and finish those first, though.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 27, 2016 (02:15 AM)

King of DOOM!

I take your point on the SNES rant, but once you start it's hard to stop. By the time I edited down that paragraph, I almost had enough spare words for a quick stand alone review. Perhaps I'll revisit that later.

The 32X stuff is still rumbling along in the background. I'll still take any help I can get? Anyone? No? Okay.

Lot of good stuff this week, so congrats to Suskie for coming up trumps and Phone for writing about a game he actually liked so well. On to the next one. Let's see how late OD is this week.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 27, 2016 (02:43 AM)

I'm still mulling around if I want to do NBA Jam. It's funny because there are some retro sports games I genuinely enjoy (Jam, for instance, as well as Tecmo Super Bowl), but I still have to push myself to play them.

If there are any platformers, I wouldn't mind tackling those.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 27, 2016 (03:35 AM)

Begrudgingly, I suggest you have a go at Blackthorne. I say begrudgingly because it's by far the best game left on the list, and maybe the best on the console. Other than that, Tempo and Pitfall are the closest thing to your requirement. Neither are that bad.

I don't think I'm going to be the right guy to tackle the US sports games. I don't follow them and I suffered through FIFA, so I've covered my end of things.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 29, 2016 (07:35 PM)

Thanks, Joe! I'm glad that RotW is making a comeback so I can regularly clean up again :)

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.