Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Mega Man 9 (XLA) review

This thread is in response to a review for Mega Man 9 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Iraff
Posted: October 05, 2008 (10:55 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I must heartily disagree with your rating. I fell as though the familiar setting was overstated, and the enjoyable gameplay was woefully ignored. I don't think that one can truly deduct from the game as a whole simply due to a lack of mind-blowing innovation, though it's obviously your right as the reviewer. Certain parts, such as the sometimes mind-bending difficulty is, I believe, an intentional addition. Good review, but because we have differing opinions, I must never speak to you again. Good day!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 05, 2008 (11:21 AM)

Clearly that's the only solution!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 05, 2008 (11:53 AM)

Either this is a hilarious joke account or you're being serious with your statements...

I must heartily disagree with your rating.

I like how you went for the rating first.

I fell as though the familiar setting was overstated, and the enjoyable gameplay was woefully ignored.

Did you actually read the second paragraph? I basically said that this is a typical Mega Man game, and that that's actually a good thing for it to be.

I don't think that one can truly deduct from the game as a whole simply due to a lack of mind-blowing innovation, though it's obviously your right as the reviewer.

Huh? Yes, I said there was nothing innovative or new in the game, but I never said that was a bad thing, just for those who were expecting that.

Certain parts, such as the sometimes mind-bending difficulty is, I believe, an intentional addition.

I never said it wasn't.

Good review, but because we have differing opinions, I must never speak to you again. Good day!

Thank you, kind alt account.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: October 05, 2008 (12:17 PM)

how many times can I say it

THE SCORE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE REVIEW

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 05, 2008 (12:40 PM)

Though I'm sure this'll simply cast suspision atop my good self, it's not an alt account.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: October 05, 2008 (01:22 PM)

Well, the frustrated tone of the work gave me the impression that you detracted from it for that reason. Also, he's right, I'm not an alt. I wasn't trying to offend, or incite any sort of fight. Sorry that it came across as such.

board icon
Posted: October 05, 2008 (01:55 PM)

Hmm, the only real frustration I ended up giving in the review were the easy Wily stages and that spike part in Jewel Man's stages. But I dismissed those as nitpicks. Not trying to sound rude here, but it sounds like you only really payed attention to the stuff that might have potential to upset you and skimmed over everything else in the review.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: October 05, 2008 (02:02 PM)

I liked this game better than pickhut did. I felt like it innovated enough to be worthwhile (even if technically it removed some previous innovations to the series) and was a solid representation of the very best of the series. I disagree with pickhut when he says that this is just more of the same, because to me that implies that it's more of the same with the series low points included. He also said (I think) that this doesn't stack up to the best in the series. I don't agree with that, either. I'd put it in the top three for the series thus far, just after Mega Man 2 and perhaps Mega Man 4 (yes, I really like Mega Man 4).

I still like his review, though, and I feel that his text justifies the rating.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: October 05, 2008 (02:26 PM)

I guess I'm not sure how to respond to that, other than by saying that I did, in fact, read the whole review. Again, much of my post was in jest, and I was just pointing out where I disagreed. I do agree that the rating fits the text, however.

board icon
Posted: October 05, 2008 (02:41 PM)

Well, if that's it, I fine with that. Thanks for reading.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.