Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Site Announcements > Welcome to our new community manager, Taylor Whaley!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 13, 2015 (09:08 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hello all!

For some time now, I've been looking for someone who could step into a community and social media role at HonestGamers, a bit like we saw from Germ previously, but with sustained focus on social media promotion.

That search finally went someplace, and the result is that we now have a new member on the team, Taylor Whaley (PoeticPaladin). As you might have noticed, this post is an introduction.

Taylor will not have staff privileges, at least at first, because those aren't necessary to perform the tasks the position requires. Taylor's goal is to:

* Post on various social media platforms to let people know when new staff/freelance reviews go live, and also to promote various reader reviews
* Spread the word when we have review contests that other writers around the Internet might find interesting
* Help ensure that more reader reviews receive feedback and discussion, as possible
* Make sure people know about giveaway contests the site might run periodically, so we can justify running more of them
* Occasionally let people know about any of the site's crowdfunding efforts, so more people who love what we do can support us and help us to do it better

Taylor also has experience writing, so you might see additional freelance reviews, as well. And I'll be continuing to seek out new talent, to hopefully ensure that the site continues to grow and can cover a wider variety of games in the months ahead.

Welcome to the team, Taylor!

Jason

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 13, 2015 (12:11 PM)

Welcome aboard!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 13, 2015 (03:08 PM)

Welcome!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 13, 2015 (03:59 PM)

I hope this goes better than it did over at GameFAQs.

Welcome!

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 13, 2015 (04:13 PM)

Greetings, new employee of Venter Enterprises.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: PoeticPaladin
Posted: November 14, 2015 (09:21 AM)

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everybody!

I'm very much looking forward to getting to know all of you.

As a side note - what happened at GameFAQs? I'm slightly concerned now. :P

~~The brand spankin' new Community Manager of HonestGamers~~

"Caution and critical thinking is better than recklessness. In essence, Discretion is the better part of Valor." - Paraphrased Shakespeare

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 14, 2015 (12:12 PM)

Welcome aboard - and good question: what did happen at Gamefaqs?

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 14, 2015 (01:07 PM)

http://wikifaqs.net/index.php?title=Krystal109

http://gamefaqscensorship.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/tales-from-ce-krystal-in-decline-from.html

I don't know how much of the latter is true or not.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 14, 2015 (02:40 PM)

Thanks for sharing the interesting links, Jerec. I hadn't heard about any of that drama, but that's no surprise given that GameFAQs is a separate site run by other people. ;-)

For the record, I don't anticipate any similar issues occurring here at HonestGamers. I believe in Taylor's capabilities and I anticipate that soon others will have ample reason to feel the same way.

Growing our community while encouraging and rewarding regular activity in the months ahead is important to me, and so is letting people know that their contributions are appreciated. Taylor has come on board to ensure that we can do those things while also producing a steady supply of high-quality content that reaches people beyond our current sphere of influence.

I think it's a mistake to try and perfectly clone what one might call our "glory days" of 2004 and 2005 or thereabouts (too many of the people who made that era special have long since disappeared, unfortunately), but I also believe there's a lot more we can do in 2015 while remaining true to the values that helped the site to establish itself in the first place. I appreciate all of you who have stuck with the site through thick and thin, and I hope that the months and years to follow will be some of the most exciting in its long history, with help from Taylor and any others who might join us in the weeks ahead.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 15, 2015 (12:06 PM)

Wow, that sounds like quite a kerfuffle.

I'd like to take this opportunity to set some of your concerns at ease, Jerec.

Jason and I have discussed the expectations and responsibilities that come with the position through email and I feel that we're very much on the same page.

My position as HonestGamers' Community Manager is essentially to promote the content posted here by HonestGamers' staff and the community through social media platforms and here in the forums, as Jason already mentioned.

At this point in time, I don't even have moderator privileges. Policing the community isn't what I'm here for, nor would I feel comfortable coming into your lovely community and starting to tell people what to do. I'd rather leave that to the excellent moderation team that's already in place :).

I'm not discounting the possibility of taking on more responsibilities here in the future, just letting you know that my primary goal will always be to promote the awesome community here and the content you all create.

As a side note, I'd like to open things up for feedback. If you see something I'm doing that you don't like, or have some kind of idea for me (possible community activities or events, etc) I'd love to hear them. Just send an email to Taylor(AT)honestgamers(DOT)com and I'll be happy to chat.

Thanks to everybody for the warm welcomes, I can't wait to see you all around the site :).

"Caution and critical thinking is better than recklessness. In essence, Discretion is the better part of Valor." - Paraphrased Shakespeare

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 16, 2015 (09:34 PM)

Hello, sir. I've become a bit lurky in recent times but hopefully we'll have the chance to interact a bit!

Edit: Or hello ma'am! I actually have no idea! Taylor could be either.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: November 18, 2015 (06:39 PM)

Hello there!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself!

I'm a guy, but you really don't need to call me sir xD. You can just refer to me as "PoeticPaladin" or Taylor. :)

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: November 20, 2015 (01:05 PM)

Welcome!

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.