Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Chrono Trigger review

This thread is in response to a review for Chrono Trigger on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: October 14, 2015 (01:00 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Just reading this makes me want to play it. Again. I don't think I'm still in the single digits on this one.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 15, 2015 (11:29 AM)

If there's an RPG designed for many, many playthroughs, it's this one. I think, because it was made so well, that makes its brevity and general ease a bonus. I have a lot of RPGs I really liked and wouldn't mind playing again, but don't want to set aside 60-100 hours to do so OR there's that one area I really didn't like because it was frustrating or something like that.

With CT, you go from place to place at a brisk enough pace that if there's an area that's more of a drag to you, it'll be over soon. And, after playing it a few times, the only thing that always will challenge me is that boss fight with Giga Gaia. It just brings the pain at the beginning -- if you don't obliterate an arm very early, you will be destroyed by its big group attacks.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Channard
Posted: October 17, 2015 (08:55 PM)

I really envy those people who played CT in 90s. Because of fact that game wasn't released in Europe and SNES was too expensive (hard times, yeah, but seriously, new console was like 2 month salaries), only thing I could do is to read articles about how CT is good in various magazines. I played this game in 2007 and even then found it awesome. What I can say today — Chrono Trigger IS a timeless game.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 17, 2022 (09:10 PM)

I'm playing the DS version right now. I played it on SNES circa 2000 but wasn't really in love with it at the time. All the stuff about time travel felt campy and a bit dumb to me, like the game was trying to be deep like a teenager writing poetry.

Replaying it now as someone with a big more appreciation for its fine details, it's an absolute masterclass in design. I don't think it's too short; I think it's just smarter about how it uses the players time. There are so many times when CT just puts an object on the screen and assumes the player will figure out what to do. For example, when you first go through the teleporter at the fair, that's it. There's no "where am I?" soliloquy or talking to an imp or whatever. It's very good at explaining things without resorting to exposition text.

I like the combat more than I thought I would. I usually don't like it when characters have set growth and little to customize, but it works here because each combat encounter feels hand crafted and different, even if it's the same enemy. I love how so many normal enemies have movement patterns, weak points that you need to wait to exploit, etc.

I'm about 3 hours in and just reached the end of time. It's just bonkers that I could try to fight the final boss already.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 18, 2022 (07:51 AM)

One time, shortly before one of my replays of this game, I found a site online dedicated to talking about just how great the pacing of this game is. It analyzed it dungeon by dungeon discussing how you have periods that build up to epic parts and then you'll have a little breather area so you can recover from that stuff and then it'll build up again. It was one of those really cool and in-depth reads that really shows how much power this game has. It's one of my all-time favorites and it inspired that person to essentially write a small book online breaking it down moment by moment. Not every game pulls that off!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.