Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Destiny of an Emperor review

This thread is in response to a review for Destiny of an Emperor on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 13, 2015 (09:39 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hey, just found this review after going through Venter's 50 NES Games. Sounds like a very interesting RPG game for the NES, so it's a shame it has those flaws. The final battles sound like something I would have no patience for nowadays. Thanks for the read!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 14, 2015 (09:51 AM)

The final battles are indeed brutal, but Destiny of an Emperor is one of the best RPGs from the NES era. If nothing else, the journey to those final conflicts is an enjoyable one. I personally think Overdrive was a little too hard on the game, but that's his right! ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: August 15, 2015 (03:38 AM)

"it is not cool when a warlord with roughly 30,000 soldiers casts Wan Fu on himself to regain each and every one of them."

Multiply by ten when "a warlord" is the final boss. Destiny of an Emperor is among the rare breed of RPGs where the final boss, can, and will, restore to full health repeatedly if you do not find the way around it - which isn't that easy when all the spells (well, tactics, in this case) have names that mean nothing to a native English speaker, or someone who isn't even that. Among that list of tactics is the one that shuts down enemy spellcasting temporarily, and not all tacticians have it, so you want to bring one who does. Unsurprisingly, Zhuge Liang is one of them.

Nonetheless, beaten several times. Has me coming back every so often.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 28, 2015 (10:43 AM)

Well, if we use the current scoring system, it'd be a strong 3/5 in my book!

But yeah, I really loved the premise and the ability to recruit fallen generals, but there were a couple big problems like I mentioned in my review. Late-game fights were long and could be very annoying to overcome. And with only a few generals being able to level up, the only reason to recruit a lot of them was solely to prevent them from randomly attacking you every few steps.

It's the sort of game that deserves an A+ for concept, creativity and stuff like that; but just lags behind that standard in execution. It was a game I was interested in playing and I'm glad I did get a chance to, but I can't really give it more than a mild recommendation, as any RPG junkie will get a lot of enjoyment out of it, at least for most of the game.

And, like I said in the review, it is kind of educational. After playing it, I was all over Wikipedia looking up names to see who these people were.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.