Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > [Contest] W3 (Write Well & Win) - The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 02, 2015 (10:32 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Back in the early days of the site, we used to have contests and competitions all the time, and we sometimes even had prizes on the line. Lately, I've been feeling nostalgic, so I reached out to the people at NIS America to see if they might supply us with a prize so we could host another event. The good news: they agreed!

What You Could Win

Up for grabs is an NTSC (North American) copy of The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum, an upcoming RPG for PlayStation 3. As you might have guessed if you follow such things, it is the indirect sequel to The Guided Fate: Paradox. Like that game, The Awakened Fate: Ultimatum is a roguelike title, with the sort of themes and presentation that are typical of Nippon Ichi Software's efforts.

Who Is Eligible

Anyone except for me is eligible, provided that person has a U.S. address where I can ship the game. Pay attention to the next section, which tells you how to win.

How to Win

This section tells you how to win.

In order to win, you need to contribute a high-quality, original reader review to this site on or after March 1, 2015. Once staff approve that review, you need to post a link to the review as a reply in this thread.

There is a limit of one entry per individual, but you can enter early and change your entry later, as long as you have done so ahead of the deadline: 11:59PM (PST) on March 16, 2015.

Once the deadline passes, I will look over all of the reviews that have been entered, and I will choose my favorite. Then I will contact that contributor by HG Mail to get his or her address, so I can send the game. I expect to be able to send the game out on the week of March 16, and I will try to choose a winner quickly (how quickly I can do so will depend on the total number of eligible entries).

Things to Keep in Mind

Not everyone who enters will win. You need to draft a high-quality review or it will be rejected by site staff. Remember that our goal here is quality over quantity.

You can review any game you want, provided it is currently listed in the site database. Pick something you can write about in an interesting manner.

Contests like this one do require some serious effort. In the past, there haven't tended to be a lot of entries. That means that if you give it a shot, your chances of winning are pretty good... especially if you're a skilled writer.

And finally, note that I would like to offer additional contests like this one in the future. The more people participate, the more likely that is to happen, so be sure to tell your writing friends and let them in on the fun!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jbevan70
Posted: March 02, 2015 (02:50 PM)

So, can I simply include the link here if the review has been posted on another site?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: March 02, 2015 (03:31 PM)

Reviews have to be posted here, on this site, and they have to be approved by site staff.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 02, 2015 (05:57 PM)

Can I simply not write a review and not live in the US and still be able to win?

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: March 02, 2015 (07:44 PM)

If Jerec wins, can I claim the prize in his honor?

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: March 02, 2015 (08:56 PM)

Whoever wins will need to provide a U.S. mailing address of his or her choosing where the game should be shipped. The address the winner provides at that time is entirely up to the winner.

The game being awarded is (to my knowledge) an NTSC edition that will not work on systems in Australia, Europe, or other regions. If someone who lives in Europe or Australia or elsewhere were to enter and win, that's something to keep in mind.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: March 03, 2015 (10:42 AM)

Playstation 3 is region free and NTSC/PAL video formats haven't been a concern since the rise of HDTV. The game will most certainly work in his Aussie PS3, though the price of shipping to Oz may still be a concern.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 03, 2015 (12:40 PM)

Yeah, region locking is a thing of the past. Aside from one notable exception that is.. No prizes for guessing who.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 03, 2015 (04:41 PM)

Nintendo.

Anyway, I'm glad you're revising this tradition, Jason. However, I unfortunately will not be able able to participate, as I am far too busy with school work / life in general. I'm hoping to get back into things (a little) come May, but it's hard to know if something else won't come up.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Robotic_Attack
Posted: March 09, 2015 (09:14 AM)

Here's my entry, Ring of Red for PS2:

http://www.honestgamers.com/12500/playstation-2/ring-of-red/review.html

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: March 16, 2015 (02:05 PM)

My entry: Risk of Rain.

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Posted: March 17, 2015 (12:53 PM)

Thank you for your entries, everyone! This was a tough decision, but I've decided to award the win to Germ for his last-minute Risk of Rain entry. The writing was a bit more lively. Both reviews were dense with info, and the games they described sounded interesting, but Germ's more relaxed approach worked slightly better for me. Germ, please send me the address where I should ship the game by HG Mail, and I'll mail it out to you sometime very soon!

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: March 17, 2015 (01:01 PM)

Sweet! Thanks Jason!

Hey Robotic_attack, who's everyone's favorite son now? BWAHAHAHAHA

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Author: Robotic_Attack
Posted: March 21, 2015 (09:15 AM)

I will have my revenge one day

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.