Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's FTL: Advanced Edition review

This thread is in response to a review for FTL: Advanced Edition on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: January 04, 2015 (02:10 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

God I love FTL! I haven't been playing much recently, but I never did get tired of it, just got busy with DND5.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 05, 2015 (04:03 AM)

I often park FTL for months to go away and play other stuff, but I can always just drop right back in, pick up where I left off, and get killed in new and interesting ways.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: January 05, 2015 (12:34 PM)

After a very long struggle I'm finally in a place where I can beat FTL fairly consistently with most ships.
On easy.
With advanced content disabled.

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 05, 2015 (11:10 PM)

I've unlocked a single ship and I think I got as far as the sixth system. I still love the game.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: January 06, 2015 (12:02 AM)

Regarding the review,

It's a little on the long side, which wouldn't be an issue if the text weren't so dense. That said you crammed a ton of information into an amusing narrative, so my difficulty in chugging along could be chalked up to my already knowing everything about the game. On the whole thumbs up.

Also Vulcan Laser is OP, and every one of you should play the Captain's Edition mod.

board icon
Posted: January 09, 2015 (05:01 PM)

You have one tactic and it's Vulcan Laser. When they nerf it, you'll be so boned.

I guess I have so many stories of FTL screwing me over, it's hard not to try and cram them all in. It was longer -- I had an entire paragraph bitching about the stupid jumps that drop you into the path of a stupid sun, but power-edited it down to a sentence. I've got a link to the Captain's mod handy, but don;t plan to do it until I've gotten a few more wins on AE.

Thanks, all, for reading.

board icon
Author: Nightfire
Posted: July 12, 2017 (12:05 PM)

I actually didn't like the AE. I thought most of what they added was unnecessary at best or downright annoying at worst. It was certainly harder than the standard edition, no doubt about that, but not in any way that was more interesting or fun. All it really did was add a million more ways for things to go wrong - and since your ships did not have larger capacities for gear than they have in the standard edition, there was no way to effectively plan, counter, or prepare for any of it. Ultimately the RNG was emboldened, whereas tactics and skill were far less important. Slot Machine: Advanced Edition was my impression of it. It didn't matter how well you played, because, as you described, you could be trundling along and doing really well, then suddenly find yourself up against a weapons you have no defense against, which succinctly wipes out your crew and most of your systems.

The standard edition felt more balanced to me in this regard. Granted, the RNG was always lurking like a voracious predator, but it had a few less teeth in its sinister maw. Making good decisions actually mattered, whereas in the AE it seemed like the only route to success was if you got really, really lucky.

Great review, though. Reading it makes me want to re-install it and play it again, though I'll probably stick to the standard edition if I do.

placid like acid

board icon
Posted: July 14, 2017 (05:44 PM)

I've not FTL'd in a while now. Skyshine's bedlam took its place for a decent spell of time but I've got the roguelike-that-hates-you itch under control for now. At this point all I can remember about the AE was that I hated the Lanuis and adored the Vulcan Laser. I think at the point it came out, the game needed a shot in the arm of new instances to give those of us dying over and over again something new to look at just before we warped into a sun and exploded.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.