Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Psychonauts review

This thread is in response to a review for Psychonauts on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: December 13, 2014 (07:03 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The Milkman stage is one of the singularly brilliant moments of video game history.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 14, 2014 (06:50 AM)

It is all kinds of excellent.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: December 16, 2014 (04:47 PM)

The Milkman stage was my favorite stage in the whole game. I also really enjoyed the Goggelor stage, too, for its parody of monster movies. Truly a clever concoction of wit they managed to put together with this, and I still think fondly of it despite its obvious mechanical flaws.

Great review. May need a little proofreading, but otherwise the substance is engaging. You do well in describing the weirdness, which can be difficult with a game like this. I remember my clumsy attempt at reviewing this - I tried to review it from a psychology perspective (thanks, college), but it didn't work so well. Yours is better, and even though I haven't played it in several years, I find myself agreeing with you on every issue.

I will say, though, that I think the controls might be a little better on the PS2 version, but probably not much. I remember hating the Meat Circus, too, mostly for the cheapness of the whole thing than anything else. Also hated those damn confusion-causing rats in the asylum. Blech.

board icon
Posted: December 19, 2014 (10:20 AM)

I've gone through again and weeded out the typos I've missed. Hopefully I caught them all. A lot of them came from sentences I edited at zero hour and did a shoddy job of ensuring I'd not taken out then obsolete words.

I liked your Psychonauts review back in the day, even if you did try to find some kind of logic among the chaos. I think the controls were on par with the PS2 once I stopped trying to be a hero and battling through on the keyboard and dug out the gamepad. But they were still kind of rubbish.

Thanks for reading!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: WestSideWonder
Posted: June 07, 2015 (02:55 PM)

If it weren't for the Meat Circus level, Psychonauts would almost be a perfect game.

I smiled like a maniac through most of my playthrough, and its hard to imagine others not doing the same.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: June 09, 2015 (01:03 PM)

I actually have a save file parked at the Lungfish stage so I can stomp around at will. That stage just makes me smile.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: June 28, 2015 (01:14 PM)

Ooh, this resonates. I'm one of the poor keyboard players, and where else would I strand but at the Meat Circus, where I am pretty certain the sequence of moves the game wants from me requires more fingers than the average human has. By this time I'd long come to rely on YouTube videos showing exactly where to go and what to do - at this point even the LP'er repeatedly failed the move. Made me feel a little better about throwing in the towel, much as I hate to do that right at the final stage.

board icon
Posted: July 01, 2015 (02:23 AM)

I feel for you. When I replayed the game on the PC to write this review, I played more than half the game on the keyboard. I'd like to try and sound noble by claiming this was because I wanted an organic PC experience to base the review on, but the truth was that my gamepad was upstairs and, urgh, stairs.

Was the bit you quit at the circular cage with huge gaps in that's also on fire?

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 01, 2015 (11:55 AM)

Sounds familiar. I think it might have been. I do remember I had to gently scroll the camera with a mouse motion while holding down three keys and then still using WASD to steer gently, but not too gently. Perhaps then to press space for a jump, not sure anymore. But it was just more than I could do at any one time, and I tried for a fair amount of time.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.