Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > October's Halloween Horror Review Tourney - RESULTS!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 13, 2014 (03:33 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

They're here... with a twist! The Great William has requested assistance from his fellow blogger Mike due to unexpected (but positive!) life changes. Congratulations to Will for finding a new job.

Now that that's out of the way... Here we go!

The Evil Within by Suskie

WQ Says: Suskie does a good job telling us just how well this game does compared to other horror titles. The comparisons between this and the Resident Evil franchise best exemplify just how this game has evolved from its predecessors. The fact that the same creator has developed both series makes the comparisons all the more revealing and appropriate. The review is a rather engaging, much like I imagine the game itself would be. The transitions between themes in the review do not feel sudden, either. I appreciate the inclusion of the game’s faults, too, and the fact that even though the story is lousy, this does not seem to detract too much from the overall experience, though I do suspect it knocked the score down some. The fact that it still scores rather highly proves just how much potential this game could have as a series, at least if the developers decided to go that route (and actually improve it). As a standalone game, it speaks wonders for the genre, and shows just how out of sync other titles have become with their own purpose. I would have liked to see maybe a few more examples (though I understand why you left them out), or maybe a little more sense of dread, apprehension, etc that makes horror games appealing woven in throughout. Either way, though, I do believe what you’ve done here is excellent, and is probably better for it.

SCORE: 88

P.S. Letterbox sucks. I have a hard time seeing as it is; I don’t need that distraction as well, especially in a game where I imagine missing the slightest clue can wreck your progress due to death (i.e. steeping on a bomb…). Oh well. This one’s definitely on my list now.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 13, 2014 (07:28 PM)

Ah! I now know part of what's been missing from my reviews of late. Thank you, lady and gentlesirs!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 14, 2014 (12:47 AM)

Hey, thanks! The death of RotW has left me hungry for a win at something, so this will do quite nicely.

Ben -- good point about that "we" line. I think I only jumped to that conclusion because at this point I honestly can't imagine anyone going into a Shinji Mikami game expecting a good story, but of course that's important to some people, as you've demonstrated.

Thanks to the judges for their time. Janus, I loved your review and I've been meaning to leave feedback on it and I will soon.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: November 15, 2014 (02:10 AM)

Thanks to the judges. First review in a long time so I'm pleased with second.

Really enjoyed suskie's review, as ever. I've watched a lot of Evil Within on PS Live so I can understand the criticisms. That last boss does look poor.

What's the next contest?!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: November 15, 2014 (04:41 AM)

Thanks go to the judges for their input.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2014 (08:29 AM)

Noooo - my win streak!

I think I knew I was toast in this one. Suskie and Janus knocked their stuff out of the park, and I came to the awful realisation that I had run out of Silent Hill games to write for. Thanks to Ben for his timely results. And WQ for her results. And Mike for saving us from the latest in Will disappointments. Thanks all three for your thoughtful feedback and taking the time to do this. Props to Janus and DE for shaking off the rust to great effect.

Not sure whet to do next -- anyone else got any ideas? If not, I'll draft something up shortly.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: November 15, 2014 (10:46 AM)

How about Europe vs the World?

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 15, 2014 (03:14 PM)

I'm not sure we'll be able to pull in the numbers these days for something team related -- but I'll throw an interest gauge topic up and see where it goes.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 15, 2014 (03:27 PM)

Could just cycle through various genres - mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.