Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Metal Gear Solid review

This thread is in response to a review for Metal Gear Solid on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 05, 2014 (08:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Needs a good proofing, as there are a lot of little typos, but this was a fun as hell review to read. I don't think there's any point to me reviewing this one after reading yours. Damn brilliant, if a bit more harsh than I'd have been.

And the main thing I got from reading it. More regret over how I traded in Vandal Hearts a few years back. That's a game I'd really like to play again.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 06, 2014 (11:28 AM)

It wouldn't be an EmP review without awkward typos.

Thanks -- I've gone through again and weeded out the ones I missed. That's probably all of them. Getting this out is another one checked off my reviewing bucket list. There's not many left now.

It was a fun review to write, but it's four million words, so I'm glad getting through it isn't too painful.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 06, 2014 (02:23 PM)

Wow. This is an amazing review, though I expected nothing less. I knew this game would be perfect for your sarcastic writing style, and it really shows. This was immensely enjoyable anx hilarious to read, even if I don't entirely agree with what you say.

I still like the game; I think its silliness is what makes it endearing. I do agree that the non-boss stuff is a joke, though. Also, iirc, you can skip the codec convos. On another note, I thought, at the time I wrote my review for MGS, that you appreciated the fact that I neglected the very obvious homoeroticism/BDSM. :P

Anyway, truly stellar read. You'll win the tourney for sure.

So how hard was it to play this game for you, anyway?

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 07, 2014 (02:49 PM)

Thank you, WQ. Those are some very kind words

Thing is, MGS isn't supposed to be silly; it's supposed to be this big social commentary that just so happens to have cut scenes of people taking a crap and certainly not objectified women doing press ups in their underwear just because. Skipping the codec is pointless, too, because they'll just be another one along next time you walk through a door or the wind changes direction.

"The wind changing direction?"

That's right, Snake. You see, air currents are not really controlled by osculating atmosphere temperatures, but by a secret government organisation that live under the white house and direct the worldwide media. Don't worry about stopping and taking this call right out in the open. Conveniently, no one will come along to ever interrupt you. Even though you'll take six billion of these things during the course of the game!

*Ahem*, where was I? Oh, replaying the game? Hated it. Bloody hated it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.