Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Rage Against the (Aggregate) Machine

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 05, 2014 (04:31 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

DID YOU KNOW that grounds-breaking IoS title, Sharknado: The Video Game has a measly aggregate of 60% while gussied up fetch-quest simulator Ocarina of Time exists up in the mid 90’s somewhere? These are just some of the crazy examples I could spend seconds kinda researching to illustrate how, sometimes, aggregates just don’t work. I mean, Last of Us is also highly rated; Ben says that’s rubbish, and aside from thinking Nottingham Forest are a real football team, he’s not often disastrously wrong about stuff, right? Have you seen the scores dumped on L.A Noire – and don’t even get me started on Chorno Cross!

Pseudo-rant preludes lazy transition into reviewing tournament explanation.

Welcome to them guidelines I made up on the spot after being nagged from afar. Where the worst kept secret is that you can effectively review whatever the hell you want, but your indifference to the clandestine conditions will cost you delicious turkey-flavoured bonus points. How many points? Well, that’s the mystery; but the further away you fall from the opinion of the common man, the more juicy reward you reap. Think Charlie’s Angels isn’t the worst game in the world? Prove otherwise: I’ve played that mess and flat out dare you. Think Mario 64 is fiddly nonsense? That will score you some props. Want to turn awful space-chef FPS PO’ed into an ironic classic? Beat you to that one, I fear. Shall we talk deadlines?

Closed

I’ll add previously interested parties to this topic, and super-nag Marc remains super judge. If anyone wants to join either him or the participants, this is the topic to announce it in.

Judge
Masters

Challangers
Jerec
Ben
WQ
OD
EmP

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: August 05, 2014 (10:28 AM)

The best 5-a-side team in the land.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 05, 2014 (11:22 AM)

I would totally be up for this, but it's time I work on acquiring my central process license, lest I lose my job come January. Unfortunately, that requires me to read a (very boring) 400+ page text book. It shouldn't be difficult, but it will consume a goodish portion of my time. If I have time between chapters, I might dive back into The Walking Dead season 1.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 05, 2014 (04:42 PM)

Heh. So I was doing some research through Game Rankings, and decided to check out Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning. It has an aggregate score of 44% there, but some other places (including GFs) bumps it up to around 7/10. What, in cases like this, are we using as our base score?

P.S. My boyfriend is "seriously" considering writing a review for a positive review for E.T. on the Atari even though he hasn't played in more than 20 years.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: August 06, 2014 (05:41 AM)

GameRankings is certainly the more 'mainstream' voice, so we'll go ahead and use that as the layman's measuring stick.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 06, 2014 (05:50 AM)

I'm having trouble thinking of something. I wanted to write a scathing review of FFXIII-2 but the Metacritic is in the high 60's for that, which basically translates to 30-40 if it wasn't a Square Enix game.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: August 06, 2014 (01:26 PM)

It got scores that high?

You're still deviating, so it all counts.

board icon
Posted: August 06, 2014 (03:19 PM)

Oh, wait. It's actually 79. Yeah, let's do this!

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 07, 2014 (08:18 AM)

Let's see. Persona 3 FES is 88%, I'd be giving it a 6. Best I have so far, so I'll be going with that unless something else pops into my head.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 08, 2014 (02:18 PM)

I've been thinking I might go back to Persona 3 myself, though for different reasons than you, Overdrive. It's one of my favorite games of its generation. Even though I spent a ton of time with it, I've been thinking I'd go back to it again. I even bought the PS3 digital version, just to make it easier to return. Finding the time, though, is less easily accomplished.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: August 08, 2014 (08:38 PM)

I played through Persona 3 and 4 and then jumped into the PSP remake of the first Persona. There was...quite a difference. Especially in the encounter rate.

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Posted: August 09, 2014 (04:38 PM)

Heh, 600 words written about FFXIII-2's nonsense time travel plot. This is gonna be fun.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 09, 2014 (06:27 PM)

I wish I could bash FFXIII-2 all over again.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: August 17, 2014 (07:51 AM)

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Who said it's awkward to show up too early at a party?

board icon
Posted: August 24, 2014 (07:50 AM)

I finally started making progress in Persona 3. I muddled through about 8 floors of Tartarus, beat a boss and handled a bunch of interactions with a fat kid running some sort of religious scam while being portrayed as a bizarre combination of comic relief and self-hate.

Good things:
Only one more Tartarus boss!

Bad things:
23-24 game days until the end...

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: August 24, 2014 (04:27 PM)

Count me in.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Posted: August 28, 2014 (12:18 PM)

Review essentially finished, but I'll be giving it a good once-over tomorrow in order to hopefully trim it down a bit, as this seems to be a longer one than usual.

And then I'll never have to face this game again.

board icon
Posted: August 29, 2014 (01:21 PM)

Good news, everyone! One of you has finally cracked and asked for a deadline extension. I shan't embarrass WQ and tell you all that it's her, but I've decided to grant it to them.

You now have until the 5/9.

board icon
Posted: August 31, 2014 (08:27 AM)

SMT: Persona 3 FES

I am ready, new deadline or not, I am ready.

board icon
Posted: September 01, 2014 (03:05 PM)

I'm submitting mine early. I may add to it later, but if I don't, it should suffice for now. I just sincerely doubt that I'll have any time after today to work on it. At least not until the deadline (new or not) passes.

Thanks for that, btw. No way in hell I was getting this done yesterday. At least this way I stood a chance.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: September 04, 2014 (07:37 AM)

OK. I finished it after all. I may attempt to add pictures within the next few hours. If I don't, I'll do it when I get back.

God of War: Chains of Olympus

board icon
Posted: September 04, 2014 (05:53 PM)

Still planning to participate. I've got a game and hopefully I can write up a review by tomorrow night.

board icon
Posted: September 05, 2014 (02:42 PM)

I can definitely understand time constraints making it difficult to write. I got mine in early because I started a new job 2 weeks ago and I've been exhausted a lot of the time since then. Definitely would not have written it if I'd left it until now.

board icon
Posted: September 05, 2014 (04:34 PM)

Could have finished mine ages ago, but set it up last second out of a sense of tradition.

board icon
Posted: September 05, 2014 (09:35 PM)

Not happening, sadly. Got a surprise long shift at work today. That doesn't mean that I won't still write a PlayStation All-Stars bash in the near future, though, no sir.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.