Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Interest gauge – dorky tourney

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 02, 2014 (01:47 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Masters: Why have you not released a tourney in four years?
EmP: What’s this now?
Masters: Stop writing TWD reviews – you know no one reads them because they’ve not got to the part you have yet – and make a tourney for dorks like you. You said you’d make one months ago
EmP: I said this never.
[Obligatory two hour gap between Marc’s IM’s]
Masters: Just do it already!

I guess it could kill some time – and maybe give me an excuse to break out the HTML tumbleweed.

As Marc’s enthusiasm for the project has no doubt put him in the running for super-judge, I guess all that’s left is to come up with some kind of themed idea. I’m a bit rusty, I admit. Things that start with Y? No. Too many Ys reviews as is. Early PS3 games that aren’t entirely made of brown? Don’t think any such thing exists. Wii U games people care about? Urgh, no.

How about destroy a classic/defend a bomb? Write a review for a game that everyone else loves and you thought was awful, or take the time to stick up for a game you always figured got the rough end of the stick. This site hates L.A Noire, for instance, but the majority love it, so be like the fourth person to stick the boot in. Always thought there were worse JRPGs out there then Beyond the Beyond (and there was and always will be so long as Monsterseed remains a thing) -- tell the world why and have a grumpy Canadian grade you in between bouts of yeti wrestling. Secretly love Duke Nukem Forever? Keep that shit to yourself. Seek help.

Interested parties, make yourselves known. Indifferent parties do the exact opposite.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 02, 2014 (05:12 AM)

I was just thinking it's been a while since we've had any sort of tourney. We used to have them every other month or so.

I'm happy to participate in whatever. I had a bit of a reviewing streak earlier in the year, not sure what happened to that, but I'd be happy to write some more.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 02, 2014 (07:42 AM)

Sounds interesting. Might give me an excuse to write something for a change.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 03, 2014 (09:43 PM)

I enjoy reading even your "let's throw a tourney" posts, EmP. But jeez, what the heck would I review? Secret of Evermore already gets a good appraisal by this site, and while I do have a fondness for Wizards and Warriors that is probably very 'gainst the norm, I think Overdrive already did a pretty spot on review of it. And I already bashed Symphony of the Night, which seems to be my HUGE dissident review.

If I can come up with something, I'll join in.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 03, 2014 (11:27 PM)

I'd be interested, but I don't actually know of any game fitting the criteria that I haven't already reviewed. I'll think it over.

Edit: Maybe I could make a fifth or so attempt to finish The Witcher 2 and write about how it's the poor man's WRPG.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 04, 2014 (07:59 AM)

Now that I know there’s enough interest to invest my super valuable time into this (those beers won’t drink themselves outside in the garden cooler under the tree), I’ll give some more thought to refining the rules. Especially since I just realised I’m accidently trolling Ben who wrote a killer review less than a week ago that would have nailed this.

How about we do this: using Gamerankings averages as an aggregate, any justified score deviations from that mark will result in bonus points added on to the judge’s verdict. So, for instance, Vampire Rain is listed at 3/10, so similar scores just get helpful feedback and judge scores. Lift the game back up (or drive it further into the ground) from the average, and you’ll be rewarded. That way, we can ease back into this thing by allowing you to write for any game, but give you reason to play within the pre-set boundaries.

Which has just made me decide exactly which title I’m going for.

I’ll build a topic and pencil in some deadlines later in the day.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 04, 2014 (03:14 PM)

Sounds interesting. I'll have to think of something. Just let me know if you have a set "how far away from the mainstream" should the reviews be, so I know if I can safely finish Persona 3 for it (loved by the masses, merely decent to me) or need to figure out something on the fly.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 04, 2014 (05:02 PM)

Yeah, trying to play Persona 3 after loving Persona 4: Golden takes some work. =/

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 07, 2014 (10:18 AM)

Nice "quotes," Emp.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.