Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Ben's Spec Ops: The Line review

This thread is in response to a review for Spec Ops: The Line on the Miscellaneous. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 23, 2014 (04:51 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review, Ben, and a fine example of why I love reading about this game -- because everyone has a different reaction to it. I played on the highest available difficulty, which, for me, really exposed how clunky the game's mechanics were, and that wound up giving me roughly the experience that it sounds like you wished you'd had. The combat was just a grind for me and by the end of the game I was just exhausted.

Funnily enough, I actually liked that one rail sequence near the end, because it was essentially just a power fantasy after I'd been struggling with the cover system all day. Of course, when I replayed the game and got to that segment again, the exhilaration was lost and I thought to myself, "Christ, I look like a maniac."

Anyway, thanks for writing this. Really enjoyed reading it.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: July 23, 2014 (05:43 PM)

Thanks, Suskie. Really appreciate the comment. You make an interesting point about the difficulty - I did wonder afterwards what my experience would have been like had I played on the toughest level instead of the default. Someone had actually recommended to me playing on the easiest difficulty, so I could breeze through to the more interesting parts, but I'm glad I ignored that advice.

I've finally read your spoiler-filled discussion on your blog (it's here, in case anyone else wants to read it). I really liked that particular scene, and it was definitely one of the rare times where I felt something while shooting my weapon. SPOILERS! DON'T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED SPEC OPS: THE LINE. I was very on edge, and fired before anyone charged at me. At first, I shot at the person closest to me to see how everyone would react. They started to run away. But instead of leaving it at that, I thought, "screw it", and chose to fire into the fleeing crowd. I think I mostly did it because it was my belief that the action was more consistent with how Walker would have reacted. But at the same time, it admittedly felt a little good getting some damn payback for what happened.

The Line is quite special (despite a couple of issues I had with it), and I can see your argument for why it should be considered as one of the greatest games in recent years. I agree with the sentiment that it does things in its narrative that a television show or film would fail to do, and in that regard, it's impressive in its own way.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 02, 2014 (03:43 AM)

FOLLOW ON SPOILERS: It's funny to me that all the people I speak to about The Line quote that gathering as the stand out bit of the game when the whole gas bit near the start was obviously supposed to be the huge WTF moment. I completely agree: I hit boiling rage in the space of seconds and went to great, great lengths to mow as many of them down as I could, even with the voice in the back of my head screaming about low ammo count. I did not care; they had to die. Maybe because it was the first real choice you had to make. Gassing happened anyway; you walking away and letting the gathering live, or killing them more or less in cold blood was entirely on you.

Like Suskie, I also played it through on the Hard setting and although I thoroughly wish I hadn’t at certain stages of the game (battle around the crashed plan after the gathering being the worst), it did perfectly deglamourize the gunplay.

Another fine Spec Ops review!

For us. For them. For you.

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Spec Ops: The Line is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Spec Ops: The Line, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.