Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Things EmP has been playing JULY EDITION

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 14, 2014 (08:48 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

:: Xenonauts

Finally spat a tardy review out for the sole reason of having no getting right back to playing Xenonauts.

:: Shadowrun Returns

Specifically, I’ve played through Dead Man’s Switch and enjoyed the hell out of it. It’s full of awesome little cameos that people familiar with the series can nerd out over (Jake and Harlequin from The SNES game constantly pop up, Dodger from the novels get dropped into conversations before you’re given the chance to do a run with him). It have a action points mechanic like Firaxis XCOM and is set around gloriously drab cyberpunk goodness. What’s particularly enduring is that it’s swimming in fanmade workshop scenarios, some of which are really flipping good. Clicking around in between bouts of Xenonauts when I feel like I should probably do something different for a bit.

:: Doorkickers

Has just left Alpha and dropped into Beta, taking all my delicious progress with it. Doorkickers is a SWAT-strategy in which you’re given a small team of troops, then given a building to storm in a hybrid RTS formula you can pause and replot at any time. It’s a game I’ve been picking at for months and continue to rather enjoy.

:: FTL

GO TO HELL FTL! YOU’RE TOO SADISTIC AND TOO BRILLIANT! CAN STOP NEITHER PLAYING NOR RAGING AT BEING DROPPED INTO A BLOODY SUN FOR THE HUNDRETH TIME GRRRRRFTHSGSD,L;D!

:: Ether One

Played a handful of hours before Among The Sleep stole focus. After I’d shuffled that away, along came Xenonauts which gets mentioned a lot because it’s in proportion to how much of my time it’s stolen. Ether One is kind of what the likes of Dear Ester and Montague’s Mount had been had they been less concerned with being delicate flowers of pure artistic integrity and instead decided to give the player something to do in between the heartbreak so they wouldn’t get bored and wander off. In this case, you’re picking through the mind and memories of a Dementia patient with a virtual avatar trying to cure them. I declare it my next main project. Unless something else comes along. Or I remember I own Xenonauts. Oh, Christ, why am I not playing Xenonauts right now?!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 15, 2014 (12:12 AM)

That's precisely how I feel about FTL. I love it and hate it.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 15, 2014 (01:51 AM)

I love the idea of FTL far more than I enjoy playing it, which is not much at all.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.