Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's 1001 Spikes review

This thread is in response to a review for 1001 Spikes on the Vita. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: June 28, 2014 (04:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I scrolled down to look at the score first, and was surprised! I was anticipating a 5 at most.

Anyway, great review - I enjoyed reading this a lot. I found myself agreeing with all of it (which is weird, given our experiences with the game sounded very different!), except for the buzzsaws part. Maybe it's a problem just on the Vita? I never experienced that on the PC, which is weird.

The spike trap on the exit - was that 4-3? - yeah, I was a bit disappointed about that, especially since that was an especially tough level.

I had a look at my deaths again. I only died 48 times on the alternating spikes (9-3), which you said you struggled with, but 9-5 was my second-most highest death count (around 120, I think - it was one of the ones I replayed, so can't give an accurate number). 8-4 (around 100), 4-4 and 4-3 (both around 85) round up my top five.

10-4 wouldn't have been so difficult had the jump on the ice block two-thirds of the way through not required practically pixel-perfect positioning. (And I felt like I fluked the jumps right at the end.)

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 28, 2014 (11:17 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, I honestly think that jump onto the ice block in 10-4 was the jump in the game that I had the most trouble mastering. It doesn't even look that difficult, at least compared to everything else the game makes you do.

As for the buzzsaw thing... yeah, I encountered it enough that I'm confident in saying it wasn't some error on my part. I did speak to one other person who found that mechanic a tad unpredictable, and he played it on Vita as well, so maybe it's a bad port job? Dunno.

But hey, thanks for reading. Certainly helped being able to discuss this game in such great detail with you and a couple of others. I should send you ahead to try every hard game I'm interested in now. You can be my canary.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. 1001 Spikes is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to 1001 Spikes, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.